Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ksh script - not getting output from ls Post 302735373 by Yoda on Saturday 24th of November 2012 02:18:59 PM
Old 11-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudon't
Yes, but the newly created directory is itself a sub-directory, so ls -R should show that. And we see in debug mode that it does execute, and outputs the pathname, but the output never makes it to the screen. But I tried it without the -R flag, and it still doesn't work
I think you are confused, when ls is running it is actually looking if there are any sub-directories inside the newly created directory not the directory itself:
Code:
# ./newdir.ksh
Name a directory that ought to exist: DIR1
Directory does not yet exist. I will make it so...

Now create a directory inside the newly created directory: DIR1 and re-run the script, you will see ls listing the sub directory: SUBDIR1
Code:
# cd ~/DIR1
# mkdir SUBDIR1

Code:
# ./newdir.ksh
Name a directory that ought to exist: DIR1
That directory does exist, as well it should.
SUBDIR1

/home/user/DIR1/SUBDIR1:

I hope you understood.
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: cmd output to input of another script

I want to write a script in KSH that takes the output of one command and redisplays it. Something like: while true do read inpt date +"%I:%M:%S %p <-> $inpt" done and then some how get the output of the ping command to redirect to the input of this script. does that make sense? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file.

Hello All Nice to meet you all here in this forum, it's my 1rst time here i'm asking about a little issue that i face i added a ksh script that echo " please insert your name " and store the output to a login.log file. the script is working fine with normal telnet but Xstart is not working... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script to process grep output

Hi, I would like to know how can i pipe the following output of grep into a predefined output format This is the output of the grep command grep record *.txt | sort -r 2010-04-28-11-12-21.txt:C The user has created a record 2010-04-29-10-18-41.txt:U The user has updated a record... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh script to display output with specific contents

This is Input - starts with Storage Group Name and ends with Shareable and the loop continues all I need is Storage group name and Alu numbers in the below output format requested. Storage Group Name: abcd Storage Group UID: 00:00:000:00:0:0:0 HBA/SP Pairs: HBA UID ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: maddysa
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output in for loop (ksh)

Hi , I'm writing the for loop script in home directory and wanted to get the files from /etc/data directory. #!/bin/ksh file_nm="/etc/dat" for test_data in $file_nm/fln* do echo "$test_data" done the code is executing successfully , but in the output it is showing ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing ksh script to remote server want output on same window

I'm having a brain freeze moment. I've created a ksh script in AIX that ssh's to a remote server, executes some commands, and then logs out. All of this is sent to a file. I then have the script cat the file so i can see the output. Even though the cat command is outside of the remote session part;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: seekryts15
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Line break in sqlplus output through ksh script

Hi, I am new to shell script programming. I have written a ksh script to run the sql File placed in server directory and spool the output in destination directory. Below Command: $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -s $ora_uid @$sqlfile_loc$testquery.sql > $opfiledirectory It is generating the output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumit Arora
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Passing output parameter(Oracle) to variable in ksh Script

Hello, I have researched and tried many way to pass OUT parameter to be stored in variable in KSH Script.Still not success, please help. Here is my Store Procedure. create procedure testout3(v_in varchar2,v_out OUT integer) as begin v_out := 1; end; Here is my testvout.ksh #!/bin/ksh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palita2601
1 Replies