Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String Manipulation
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String Manipulation Post 302731985 by whyte_rhyno on Friday 16th of November 2012 09:32:14 AM
Old 11-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
Take the input (let's say $input) and remove the letters it contains from the variable containing the word (i.e. $word = "cupcakes"):

Code:
$word =~ s/$input//g;

Perfecto.

I love this forum. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

string manipulation in C

Hi all, i have the following string as input : "<iframe src="http://abcdef.com/asd/aaa/awerftya0480000008ave/direct;wi.120;hi.600/01?page=" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" allowtransparency="true" width="120" height="600"> <script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trinath
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Hi, Suppose I have the following text in a file. ORA-00942: table or view does not exist ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment number string with name "string" too small Is there any way I can list all the text that starts only with 'ORA-'? Or there any grep command that can... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kakashi_jet
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string manipulation

Hi, I have a file with rows of text like so : E100005568374098100000015667 D100005568374032000000112682 H100005228374060800000002430 I need to grab just the last digits(bolded) of each line without the proceeding text/numbers. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: james6
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi, i am just gettin exposed to UNIX. Could anyone of u help me out with dis problem..? i have a variable 'act' which has the value as follows, echo $act gives -0- -0- -----0---- 2008-06-04 -0- -0- echo "$act" | awk '{print ($act)}' gives, -0- -0- -----0---- 2008-06-04 -0- -0- I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrynimrod
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

i have a file that contains a pattern like this: ajay 1234 newyork available kumar 2345 denver singh 2345 newyork ajay 3456 denver kumar 3456 newyork singh 3456 delhi available ajay 4567 miami kumar 4567 miami singh 4567 delhi i want to search for each line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajay41aj
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need help with string manipulation

First of all I am VERY new to this so bare with me and try and explain everything even if it seems simple. Basically I want to read a line of text from a html file. See if the line of text has a certain string in it. copy an unknown number of characters (the last 4 characters wiil be ".jpg" the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: c3lica
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Hi, I have a file in the following format 123|shanwer|15DEC2010|bgbh|okok|16JAN3000|okok| I want the following to be in following format 123|shanwer|12\15\2010|bgbh|okok|01\16\3000|okok| SED/PERL/AWK Gurus could you please help me with this? Thanks Shankar (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan2210
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi All, Pls help me out on the below, 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-5 PIC X(10). 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-AMT02-5 PIC S9(13)V99. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-TYPE02-6 PIC XXX. 05 LAMSZ201-ZM-MEMO2-DATE02-6 PIC X(10). 05 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hello Could you help with small script: How to split string X1 into 3 string String X1 can have 1 or many strings X1='A1:B1:C1:D1:A2:B2:C2:D2:A3:B3:C3:D3' This is output which I want to have: Z1='A1:B1:C1:D1' Z2='A2:B2:C2:D2' Z3='A3:B3:C3:D3' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikus
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies
deroff(1)							   User Commands							 deroff(1)

NAME
deroff - remove nroff/troff, tbl, and eqn constructs SYNOPSIS
deroff [ -m [m | s | l] ] [-w] [-i] [ filename...] DESCRIPTION
deroff reads each of the filenames in sequence and removes all troff(1) requests, macro calls, backslash constructs, eqn(1) constructs (between .EQ and .EN lines, and between delimiters), and tbl(1) descriptions, perhaps replacing them with white space (blanks and blank lines), and writes the remainder of the file on the standard output. deroff follows chains of included files (.so and .nx troff commands); if a file has already been included, a .so naming that file is ignored and a .nx naming that file terminates execution. If no input file is given, deroff reads the standard input. OPTIONS
-m The -m option may be followed by an m, s, or l. The -mm option causes the macros to be interpreted so that only running text is output (that is, no text from macro lines.) The -ml option forces the -mm option and also causes deletion of lists associated with the mm macros. -w If the -w option is given, the output is a word list, one ``word'' per line, with all other characters deleted. Otherwise, the output follows the original, with the deletions mentioned above. In text, a ``word'' is any string that contains at least two let- ters and is composed of letters, digits, ampersands (&), and apostrophes ('); in a macro call, however, a ``word'' is a string that begins with at least two letters and contains a total of at least three letters. Delimiters are any characters other than letters, digits, apostrophes, and ampersands. Trailing apostrophes and ampersands are removed from ``words.'' -i The -i option causes deroff to ignore .so and .nx commands. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
eqn(1), nroff(1), tbl(1), troff(1), attributes(5) NOTES
deroff is not a complete troff interpreter, so it can be confused by subtle constructs. Most such errors result in too much rather than too little output. The -ml option does not handle nested lists correctly. SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 deroff(1)