Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris [HELP] what does "2>&1" do in crontab? Post 302731343 by methyl on Wednesday 14th of November 2012 08:50:50 PM
Old 11-14-2012
If you want to do the redirection on the crontab line this the best solution based on the information supplied.

It would really help if you posted what Operating System and version you are running (okay we know that is is a Solaris) and what Shell you are using when in crontab. Under Solaris the Shell under cron can be an ancient Bourne Shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"nohup" and "&" commands

Why would anyone ever type in a command like this: nohup command & nohup lets you logout of your telnet session so why add "&" to run it in the background? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run away "bootpgw" & "inetd"

Hello All. I'm get the following messages posted to the /var/adm/syslog file ever second and not sure on how to stop the process. May 14 15:50:52 a3360 bootpgw: version 2.3.5 May 14 15:50:52 a3360 inetd: /etc/bootpgw exit 0x1 As said about this gets logged every second only thing that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cfaiman
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Red Hat

files having Script which works behind "who" & "w" commands

Dear All, plz print the path of files which have the script of "who" & "w" commands. thnx in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqlain.bashir
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

8. Web Development

How would I mod_rewrite "/~a1Pha" and "/=a1Pha" to "/paste/a1Pha.htm"? (internally & externally)

Basically I want to shorten URLs on my html pasting site (pasteht.ml), by using "/~a1Pha" instead of "/paste/a1Pha". The ID is 5 numbers and letters, both cases. For example: /~idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /=idnum serves /paste/idnum.htm /paste/idnum redirects to /~idnum (to update any old... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phillips1012
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

find files in sub dir with tag & add "." at the beginning [tag -f "Note" . | xargs -0 {} mv {} .{}]

I am trying find files in sub dir with certain tags using tag command, and add the period to the beginning. I can't use chflags hidden {} cause it doesn't add period to the beginning of the string for web purpose. So far with my knowledge, I only know mdfind or tag can be used to search files with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nexeu
6 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for comments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow List of users allowed to use crontab /var/cron/deny List of users prohibited from using crontab /var/cron/tabs Directory for personal crontab files DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') with the exception that the dangerous variant of calling crontab without a file name in the first form of the command is not allowed by this implementation. The pseudo-filename '-' must be specified to read from standard input. The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD