Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove previous line if next & previous lines have same 4th character. Post 302728997 by rdrtx1 on Thursday 8th of November 2012 11:17:25 PM
Old 11-09-2012
try: instead of tac use:
Code:
perl -e 'print reverse <>'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search for string and Print previous two lines and current line

Hello, Can anybody help me to correct my sed syntax to find the string and print previous two lines and current line and next one line. i am using string as "testing" netstat -v | sed -n -e '/test/{x;2!p;g;$!N;p;D;}' -e h i am able to get the previous line current line next line but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmadhuhb
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append specific lines to a previous line based on sequential search criteria

I'll try explain this as best I can. Let me know if it is not clear. I have large text files that contain data as such: 143593502 09-08-20 09:02:13 xxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxx 09-08-20 09:02:11 N line 1 test line 2 test line 3 test 143593503 09-08-20 09:02:13... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jesse
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range of lines matching pattern and previous line

Hi all, on Solaris 10, I'd like to print a range of lines starting at pattern but also including the very first line before pattern. the following doesn't print the range starting at pattern and going down to the end of file: cat <my file> | sed -n -e '/<pattern>{x;p;}/' I need to include the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siriche
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append next line to previous lines when NF is less than 0

Hi All, This is very urgent, I've a data file with 1.7 millions rows in the file and the delimiter is cedilla and I need to format the data in such a way that if the NF in the next row is less than 1, it will append that value to previous line. Any help will be appricated. Thanks,... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
17 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove fields space and append next line to previous line.?

awk 'BEGIN{FS = "Ç"} NR == 1 {p = $0; next} NF > 1 {print p; p = $0} NF <= 1 {p = (p " " $0)} END {print p}' input.txt > output.txt This is what the input data file looks like with broken lines Code: 29863 Ç890000000 Ç543209911 ÇCHNGOHG Ç000000001 Ç055 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning multiple outputs of a single line based on previous repeated lines

Hello, I am trying to return a time multiple times from a file that has varying output just before the time instance, i.e. cat jumped cat jumped cat jumped time = 1.1 cat jumped cat jumped time = 1.2 cat jumped cat jumped time = 1.3 In this case i would like to output a time.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryddner
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: how to merge two lines moving matched pattern to end of previous line

hello everyone, im new here, and also programming with awk, sed and grep commands on linux. In my text i have many lines with this config: 1 1 4 3 1 1 2 5 2 2 1 1 1 3 1 2 1 3 1 1 1 2 2 2 5 2 4 1 3 2 1 1 4 1 2 1 1 1 3 2 1 1 5 4 1 3 1 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: satir
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line starting with a numeric value and append it to the previous line

Hi, i have a file with multiple entries. After some tests with sed i managed to get the file output as follows: lsn=X-LINK-IN0,apc=661:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1, 00,2110597,2094790,0,81,529,75649011,56435363, lsn=TM1ITP1-AM1ITP1-LS,apc=500:0,state=avail,avail/links=1/1,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed to print the character from the previous line after the regexp match

Hi All, I need to print the characters in the previous line just before the regular expression match Please have a look at the input file as attached I need to match the regular expression ^ with the character of the previous like and also the pin numbers and the output file should be like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
6 Replies
TAC(1)								   User Commands							    TAC(1)

NAME
tac - concatenate and print files in reverse SYNOPSIS
tac [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write each FILE to standard output, last line first. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --before attach the separator before instead of after -r, --regex interpret the separator as a regular expression -s, --separator=STRING use STRING as the separator instead of newline --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Jay Lepreau and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tac translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
rev(1) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tac> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tac invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TAC(1)