Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions How to read user keyboard input inside the case? Post 302728369 by femchi on Wednesday 7th of November 2012 05:29:40 PM
Old 11-07-2012
How to read user keyboard input inside the case?

I need to Write a shell script that allows some system-administration tasks to be preformed automatically from a menu-driven interface. with automated following tasks:

Copy directory tree
Delete files or directories
Output Information (this part is done )

*Copy directory tree
The “Copy directory tree” selection should prompt for two arguments: src & dest.
The script then copies all the files from src, including all the subdirectories, to dest,
creating all the necessary sub-directories.
The script must perform necessary argument validation, assuming that the first argument may be either a directory name or the name of a regular file, while the second may be only a directory name.

my problem with this assignment is I can not read user input inside the "case" options.
I think I need to ask user to enter src and dest for copying the files.

this is my code so far

Code:
#!/bin/sh
clear
	echo "\t `date "+%d/%m/%Y"`"
	echo "\t Hostname Machine: `hostname`"
	echo "\t user: `whoami` "
	echo "\t M A I N - M E N U"
	echo "\t 1.Copey Directory Tree"
	echo "\t 2.Delete Files or Directories"
	echo "\t 3.Output Information"
while true ; do
	echo -n "\t Please enter an option [ 1 - 4 ] : "
	read opt

case "$opt" in
		1) echo "Enter the source and destination for copying files" ;; 

#read src dest ;;
		#echo "$src" ;;
		#echo "$dest" ;;

2)  ;;

3) echo "\t the number of possible users on the system: `cat /etc/passwd |wc -l` \n\t the number of current user on the system : `who | wc -l`\n\t the number of processes running: `ps -e | wc -l`"  ;;

*) exit ;; 
	esac
done

Langara College , Vancouver , Canada , Hengameh Hamavand , CPSC 1280

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

input inside while read loop

Hi all Does anyone have a script that will allow me to stop inside a while read loop. I want to pause the loop until a enter is pressed. e.g. While read line do echo something if LINECOUNT > 40 then read ENTER?"PRESS ENTER TO CONT..." ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read command (input) inside the while loop

Hi, 'read' command is not working inside the while loop, How can I solve this? Rgds, Sharif. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Testing for correct user input from keyboard

What script can I use to catch errors in a shell script if user inputs alpha numeric characters instead on integers from the keyboard? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pauline mugisha
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To ignore user input case.

hi, i will like to know whether awk command can ignore case? i written a script that will take in user input and search for data on the 1st field from a text file. echo -n "Title:" read title awk -F":" '$1~/'"$title"'/{print $0}' Filename read ans return ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheranime
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash piped while-read and a read user input at the same time

Hi I am new to writing script and want to use a Bash Piped while-read and read from user input. if something happens on server.log then do while loop or if something happend on user input then do while loop. Pseudocode something like: tail -n 3 -f server.log | while read serverline || read... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: MyMorris
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input from Keyboard, do not proceed if no input

Hi, I am working on a script, which requests users to enter input. Ex: read -p "Please enter your email id:" email I don't want users skipping this entry, this has to be mandatory.I dont want to proceed without input. I can do a check if variable $email is empty and proceed if not.But, i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aravindadla
7 Replies

7. Programming

Keyboard User Input in awk language ?

Hi, does someone know how to make a keyboard data input in the AWK programming language ? Regards Zabo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zabo
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to read user input inside a loop

Hi, This query is a part of a much more lengthy script. I wish to look for all the files in a folder named "data" which in this case has two files i.e. plan.war and agent.properties. For all the files found under data I wish to ask the user as to where they wish copy the files to. Below,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
14 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Case inside While read File

Hi Experts, Need your guidance for case statement. I tried many way but no success yet.Now my existing code is doing something like below. Each Line of the input file contains one test case.#!/bin/bash FILE=$1 while read LINE; do do COMMAND done < $FILE Now I want to modify the code... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash read input in case statement not working as expected

I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement. The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop. if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected. Need some help here. defaultans=8hrs read -e -i $defaultans -p "${bldwht}How long would you like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
5 Replies
TASKSEL(8)						      Debian specific manpage							TASKSEL(8)

NAME
tasksel - a user interface for installing tasks SYNOPSIS
tasksel install <task> tasksel remove <task> tasksel [options] DESCRIPTION
tasksel shows all available tasks and allows to user to select ones to install OPTIONS
-t, --test test mode; don't actually install or remove packages --new-install automatically select some tasks without even displaying them to the user; default other tasks to on; used during new Debian installs. --list-tasks list on stdout the tasks that would be displayed in the tasksel interface --task-packages task lists on stdout the packages that are available and part of the given task Note that this option may be given more than once. --task-desc task outputs the extended description of the given task --debconf-apt-progress options Pass the specified options to the debconf-apt-progress command that tasksel runs. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), apt-get(8) FILES
/usr/share/tasksel/*.desc and /usr/local/share/tasksel/*.desc are used to define tasks. AUTHOR
tasksel was written by Randolph Chung <tausq@debian.org> and Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> HISTORY
This document first appeared with tasksel-1.0 3.14.1 2012-08-27 TASKSEL(8)