Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search for a pattern in a String file and count the occurance of each pattern Post 302726651 by elixir_sinari on Monday 5th of November 2012 03:49:57 AM
Old 11-05-2012
The -o option prints only the strings matching the pattern, each on a separate line. I think this is available only with GNU grep.
You may try this awk script:
Code:
awk '{while(match($0,/ERR-[0-9]{5}=/))
{
 c[substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH-1)]++
 sub(/ERR-[0-9]{5}=/,"")
}}END{for(i in c) print i "=" c[i]}' file

This User Gave Thanks to elixir_sinari For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Mulitiple String pattern in a file

Hi, I need to search for a multiple string pattern(5 key words) in a file(similar to a flat file) ,and i need to store the output in a another file . In that file we may have mutiple occurrences of the key words.and i need only the unique. kindly help out. Thanks, Mohana Krishnan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnan_6015@y
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count of matched pattern occurance

In a file a pattern is occured many times randomly. Even it may appear more then once in the same line too. How i can get the number of times that pattern appeared in the file? let the file name is abc.txt and the pattern is "xyz". I used the following code: grep -ic "xyz" abc.txt but it is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Last occurance of another pattern when a pattern is found.

Hi, I have two files viz, rak1: $ cat rak1 rak2: $ cat rak2 sdiff rak1 rak2 returns: I want the lines that got modified, changed, or deleted preceding with the section they are in. I have done this so far: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and Count Occurrences of Pattern in a File

I need to search and count the occurrences of a pattern in a file. The catch here is it's a pattern and not a word ( not necessarily delimited by spaces). For eg. if ABCD is the pattern I need to search and count, it can come in all flavors like (ABCD, ABCD), XYZ.ABCD=100, XYZ.ABCD>=500,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk search for string pattern in delimited file

I've got a semicolon delimited file. I would like to search for fields that match a pattern, and not hardcoded eg "mth". *th=something If the delimited field fulfills this condition, eg. mth=value I would like to print out both key and value for some number comparison. eg. if value > "12"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern to delete lines containing a pattern, except the first occurance

Hello sed gurus. I am using ksh on Sun and have a file created by concatenating several other files. All files contain header rows. I just need to keep the first occurrence and remove all other header rows. header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file 1111 2222 3333 header for file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify file pattern, take count of pattern, then act

Guys - Need your ideas on a section of code to finish something up. To make a long story short, I'm parsing a print output file that goes to pre-printed forms. I'm intercepting it, parsing it, formatting it, cutting it up into individual pages, grabbing the text I want in zones, building an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks whether the string argument matches the pattern argument, which is a shell wildcard pattern. The flags argument modifies the behavior; it is the bitwise OR of zero or more of the following flags: FNM_NOESCAPE If this flag is set, treat backslash as an ordinary character, instead of an escape character. FNM_PATHNAME If this flag is set, match a slash in string only with a slash in pattern and not by an asterisk (*) or a question mark (?) metacharacter, nor by a bracket expression ([]) containing a slash. FNM_PERIOD If this flag is set, a leading period in string has to be matched exactly by a period in pattern. A period is considered to be leading if it is the first character in string, or if both FNM_PATHNAME is set and the period immediately follows a slash. FNM_FILE_NAME This is a GNU synonym for FNM_PATHNAME. FNM_LEADING_DIR If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is considered to be matched if it matches an initial segment of string which is followed by a slash. This flag is mainly for the internal use of glibc and is implemented only in certain cases. FNM_CASEFOLD If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is matched case-insensitively. FNM_EXTMATCH If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, extended patterns are supported, as introduced by 'ksh' and now supported by other shells. The extended format is as follows, with pattern-list being a '|' separated list of patterns. '?(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if zero or one occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '*(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if zero or more occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '+(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if one or more occurrences of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '@(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if exactly one occurrence of any of the patterns in the pattern-list match the input string. '!(pattern-list)' The pattern matches if the input string cannot be matched with any of the patterns in the pattern-list. RETURN VALUE
Zero if string matches pattern, FNM_NOMATCH if there is no match or another nonzero value if there is an error. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +----------+---------------+--------------------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +----------+---------------+--------------------+ |fnmatch() | Thread safety | MT-Safe env locale | +----------+---------------+--------------------+ CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, POSIX.2. The FNM_FILE_NAME, FNM_LEADING_DIR, and FNM_CASEFOLD flags are GNU extensions. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), scandir(3), wordexp(3), glob(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2015-12-28 FNMATCH(3)