Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add current date to the data file Post 302725763 by Don Cragun on Friday 2nd of November 2012 02:56:11 PM
Old 11-02-2012
You've been given good examples of how to set the date in your shell script and pass it into your awk script. And for what you seem to be doing here, that is the right thing to do.

If you do actually need to read data inside an awk script from a command created by the script itself, maybe the following example will help you understand how to do it:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
d_t="$(date "+%D %T")"
sleep 1
d=$(date +%D)
t=$(date +%T)    # The timestamp here will be one or two seconds later
sleep 1
nawk -v d_t="$d_t" -v tm="$d" -v dt="$t" 'BEGIN {
        # Print the values the shell passed in
        print d_t, dt, tm
}
{       # Read commands from the following here-document, run the commands,
        # and read the output of those commands a line at a time
        printf("Input line %d: command to be run: %s\n", NR, $0)
        for(i = 1; $0 | getline out == 1; i++)
                printf("Output line %d: %s\n", i, out)
        close($0)
}' <<EOF
date +%D;sleep 3
date +%T;sleep 3
date '+%D %T';sleep 3
date '+before%n%c%nafter';sleep 3
cat $HOME/.profile
EOF

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Extracting date from file name and comparing with current date

I need to extract the date part from the file name (20080221 in this ex) and compare it with the current date and delete it, if it is a past date. $file = exp_ABCD4_T-2584780_upto_20080221.dmp.Z really appreciate any help. thanks mkneni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MKNENI
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to create file.txt and add current date in file content

Hey guy, how to make bash script to create foo.txt file and add current date into file content and that file always append. example: today the script run and add today date into content foo.txt and tomorrow the script will run and add tomorrow date in content foo.txt without remove today... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenboly
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add current date to the file with sed

I want to add current date into the begin of the first line of the file. please show me the way please with "date" commond and sed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract log data based on current date and month ?

Hi Gurus, I'm using HP-UX B.11.23 operating system. I've been trying to extract this log info based on the current date and month, but was having some issues as the date column which on the 4th column has a comma and the 5th column has a dot tied to it. Here is the output from my shut... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete a row from a file if one column containing a date is greater than the current system date

Hello gurus, I am hoping someone can help me with the required code/script to make this work. I have the following file with records starting at line 4: NETW~US60~000000000013220694~002~~IT~USD~2.24~20110201~99991231~01~01~20101104~... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to add date to current date.

Hi, I am trying to display future date from the current date but unable to do so in UNIX (not in PERL). For eg: if today is March 5 then I want a variable wherein I can store Mar 7 date, but unable to get the future date from the current date. I have tried many possible ways as mentioned below... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to tar data along with current system date and time.?

Hi all, Following is my small script:- #!/bin/ksh for i in `cat /users/jack/mainfile-dr.txt` do sudo cp -r $i /users/jack/DR01/. done cd /users/jack/DR01/ sudo tar cvf system1-DR.tar * scp system1-DR.tar backupserver:/DRFiles/system1 sudo rm -rf system1-DR.tar In this script I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add current date and time

i have file 1.txt asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney i want to add today's date and time in the end of each row expected output asdas|csada|13|03|10|04|23|A1|canberra|130430|1358 sdasd|sfdsf|13|04|26|23|28|A1|sydney|130430|1358 todays date... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: radius
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract a file's modification date with current date

SunOS -s 5.10 Generic_147440-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise Hi, In a folder, there are files. I have a script which reads the current date and subtract the modification date of each file. How do I achieve this? Regards, Joe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanbi
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

“sed” replace date in text file with current date

We want to call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ Code: line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
3 Replies
Graph(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						Graph(3pm)

NAME
SVG::Graph - Visualize your data in Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) format. SYNOPSIS
use SVG::Graph; use SVG::Graph::Data; use SVG::Graph::Data::Datum; #create a new SVG document to plot in... my $graph = SVG::Graph->new(width=>600,height=>600,margin=>30); #and create a frame to hold the data/glyphs my $frame = $graph->add_frame; #let's plot y = x^2 my @data = map {SVG::Graph::Data::Datum->new(x=>$_,y=>$_^2)} (1,2,3,4,5); my $data = SVG::Graph::Data->new(data => @data); #put the xy data into the frame $frame->add_data($data); #add some glyphs to apply to the data in the frame $frame->add_glyph('axis', #add an axis glyph 'x_absolute_ticks' => 1, #with ticks every one #unit on the x axis 'y_absolute_ticks' => 1, #and ticks every one #unit on the y axis 'stroke' => 'black', #draw the axis black 'stroke-width' => 2, #and 2px thick ); $frame->add_glyph('scatter', #add a scatterplot glyph 'stroke' => 'red', #the dots will be outlined #in red, 'fill' => 'red', #filled red, 'fill-opacity' => 0.5, #and 50% opaque ); #print the graphic print $graph->draw; DESCRIPTION
SVG::Graph is a suite of perl modules for plotting data. SVG::Graph currently supports plots of one-, two- and three-dimensional data, as well as N-ary rooted trees. Data may be represented as: Glyph Name Dimensionality supported 1d 2d 3d tree -------------------------------------------------------- Axis x Bar Graph x Bubble Plot x Heatmap Graph x Line Graph x Pie Graph x Scatter Plot x Spline Graph x Tree x SVG::Graph 0.02 is a pre-alpha release. Keep in mind that many of the glyphs are not very robust. PLOTTING
You need to create a SVG::Graph::Frame instance from the parent SVG::Graph instance for each set of data to be plotted. Datasets can be hierarchical, and to represent this, SVG::Graph::Frame instances can themselves contain subframes. SVG::Graph::Frame can contain: - multiple subframes as instances of SVG::Graph::Frame - a single SVG::Graph::Data instance - multiple SVG::Graph::Glyph instances with which to render the attached SVG::Graph::Data instance, and all SVG::Graph::Data instances attached to SVG::Graph::Frame subinstances See SVG::Graph::Frame and SVG::Graph::Glyph for details. ONE DATA SET 1. create an SVG::Graph instance 2. create an SVG::Graph::Frame instance by calling SVG::Graph::add_frame(); 3. create an SVG::Graph::Data instance, containing an SVG::Graph::Data::Datum instance for each data point. 4. Attach the SVG::Graph::Data instance to your SVG::Graph::Frame using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_data(); 5. Attach glyphs to the SVG::Graph::Frame instance using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_glyph(); 6. Call SVG::Graph::draw(); MULTIPLE DATA SETS 1. create an SVG::Graph instance 2. create an SVG::Graph::Frame instance by calling SVG::Graph::add_frame(); 3. create an SVG::Graph::Data instance, containing an SVG::Graph::Data::Datum instance for each data point. 4. Attach the SVG::Graph::Data instance to your SVG::Graph::Frame using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_data(); 5. Attach glyphs to the SVG::Graph::Frame instance using SVG::Graph::Frame::add_glyph(); 6. repeat [2-5] for each additional data set to be added. add_frame() can be called on SVG::Graph to add top-level data sets, or SVG::Graph::Frame to add hierarchical data sets. 7. Call SVG::Graph::draw(); FEEDBACK
Send an email to the svg-graph-developers list. For more info, visit the project page at http://www.sf.net/projects/svg-graph AUTHORS
Allen Day, <allenday@ucla.edu> Chris To, <crsto@ucla.edu> CONTRIBUTORS
James Chen, <chenj@seas.ucla.edu> Brian O'Connor, <boconnor@ucla.edu> SEE ALSO
SVG METHODS
new Title : new Usage : my $graph = SVG::Graph->new(width=>600, height=>600, margin=>20); Function: creates a new SVG::Graph object Returns : a SVG::Graph object Args : width => the width of the SVG height => the height of the SVG margin => margin for the root frame init Title : init Usage : Function: Example : Returns : Args : width Title : width Usage : $obj->width($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of width (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) height Title : height Usage : $obj->height($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of height (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) margin Title : margin Usage : $obj->margin($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of margin (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) svg Title : svg Usage : $obj->svg($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of svg (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) add_frame Title : add_frame Usage : my $frame = $graph->add_frame Function: adds a Frame to the current Graph Returns : a SVG::Graph::Frame object Args : a hash. usable keys: frame_transform (optional) 'top' default orientation 'bottom' rotates graph 180 deg (about the center) 'right' points top position towards right 'left' points top position towards left frames Title : frames Usage : get/set Function: Example : Returns : Args : xoffset Title : xoffset Usage : $obj->xoffset($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of xoffset (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) yoffset Title : yoffset Usage : $obj->yoffset($newval) Function: Example : Returns : value of yoffset (a scalar) Args : on set, new value (a scalar or undef, optional) draw Title : draw Usage : $graph=>draw Function: depends on child glyph implementations Returns : xmlifyied SVG object Args : none perl v5.10.0 2009-01-07 Graph(3pm)