Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace special characters? Post 302723811 by Yoda on Tuesday 30th of October 2012 09:46:33 PM
Old 10-30-2012
Try using the below command on your file and redirect the output to a new file and check if the special characters are removed:-

Code:
sed 's/'"$(printf '\015')"'//g' input_file > output_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace Special characters in a file

Hi, I have a data like this in a file, 402003279034002000100147626030003300010000000000002000029000000 ær^M^\MÍW^H I need to replace those special char to some other char like # or $ Is there any ways to do it... I tried commands tr,sed and many but it was not able to replace because... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solai
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace special characters in a file

HI All I need a shell script ehich removes all special characters from file and converts the file to UTF-* format Specail characters to be removed must be configurable. strIllegal = @"?/><,:;""'{|\\+=-)(*&^%$#@!~`"; Please help me in getting this script as my scripting skilla are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujithchandra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

4. Solaris

How to replace special characters in vi?

Hi , I want to replace the special characters in the file. For eg: cat abc 1234/4455/acb 234/k/lll/ 234`fs`fd I want to replace / and ` with the letter a and the output should like below. How to achieve this. 1234a4455aacb 234akallla 234afsafd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters

I have a line ending with special character and 0 The special character is the field separator for this line in VI mode the file will look like below, but while cat the special character wont display i know the hexa code for the special character ^_ is \x1f and ascii code is \0037, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshjulk
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with Escape characters?

i need to replace the any special characters with escape characters like below. test!=123-> test\!\=123 !@#$%^&*()-= to be replaced by \!\@\#\$\%\^\&\*\(\)\-\= (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace special characters with backslash and character

Hi, I have a string wherein i need to replace special characters with backslash and that character. Ex: If my string is a=qwerty123@!, then the new string should be a_new=qwerty123\@\!\, Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: temp_user
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace the string with special characters

{"name":"alR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","description":"aLR_pl-ENVIRONMENT_192_168_211_123_sDK_PROVISION_7","json_class":"Chef::Role","default_attributes":{},"override_attributes":{"yoapp":{"jboss":"5.1.0","port":"2243","warname":"soap","datacenter":"alR","ip":"192.168.211.123","... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to replace special characters?

Hi Team, I have data like this. |*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| Would like to add zero (0) before the decimal point where there is no zero as |*|0.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*| How to replace |*|. with |*|0. I tried below command which didn't work echo '|*|.5|*|0.2|*|A.B|*' | sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi.K
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace Pattern with another that has Special Characters

Hello Team, Any help would be much appreciated for the below scenario: I have a sed command below where I am trying to replace the contents of 'old_pkey' variable with 'new_pkey' variable in a Soap request file (delete_request.txt). This works fine for regular string values, but this new_pkey... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChicagoBlues
8 Replies
uniq(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   uniq(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
fields] chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
reads the input text file input_file, comparing adjacent lines, and copies the result to output_file. If input_file is not specified, the standard input and standard output are used. If input_file is specified, but output_file is not, results are printed to standard output. input_file and output_file must not be the same file. Line-Comparison Options recognizes the following options when comparing adjacent lines: Print those lines that are repeated in the original file. Print copy only of each repeated line in the input file. Generate an output report in default style except that each line is preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. If this option is specified, the and options are ignored if either or both are also present. If none of the options or are present, prints the results of the union of the and options, producing a copy of the original input file with the second and succeeding copies of any repeated lines removed. (Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found -- see sort(1)). Field-Skip Options Two options are provided for skipping an initial portion of each line when making comparisons: Ignore the first fields fields, together with any blanks before each. fields is a positive decimal integer. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab characters separated by tabs and/or spaces from its neighbors. Ignore the first chars characters. chars is a positive decimal integer. Each line in the input is assumed to be terminated with a new line character for purposes of comparison. Fields are skipped before characters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables must be equal to the value it had when the input files were sorted. determines the interpretation of text within files as single- and/or multi-byte characters, and defines a space character when the or option is used. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. RETURN VALUE
Exit values are: 0 Successful completion. >0 Error condition occurred. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
comm(1), sort(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
uniq(1)