Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ifconfig eth0 unplumb equivalent Post 302723221 by DukeNuke2 on Monday 29th of October 2012 04:56:27 PM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Adding an IP to eth0

Hi there guys! I have a small task that I have to accomplish, but I don't seem to be able to do that. I have a server that I don't have physical access to, and I mostly control it with webmin. The server is running 2 websites. Both of these websites have their own domains that are linked to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: D-Lexy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ifconfig eth0 and awk and grep

if i have the command ifconfig eth0, what will the output be and how can i use either awk or grep to isolate and display the IP address, subnet mask and physical address of my host (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

what is "unplumb"

I saw an example on the web, it is an HP-UX command: ifconfig lan0 unplumb ifconfig lan0 plumb so what is plumb actually, I check HP-UX man page and still no idea. What is the difference if I do in this way? ifconfig lan0 down ifconfig lan0 up :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tommy_cs
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ifcfg-eth0 and eth1 is N/A

when i finish installed rhel 4.4 to my hp dl585 box, ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1 is not available.when i ifconfig -a,i can not see the eth0 and eth1, only lo0 and si0. Unlike to the other server i found eth0 and eth1 files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. what will i do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can I find which one is eth0?

Hi, Just installed Centos 5.1 on HP DL360, on this system I have to close to ten nic's. How can I find which one is eth0? When I do " ifconfig -a" I see all of them, but I can't tell which is eth0? Please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Device eth0 issue

Hi, I have just installed RHEL 5.4 on a BL430c-class server and I am attempting to connect to the network only when I try and start eth0, I get the following error? "Bringing up Interface eth0: hp device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization." I am using a HP... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
18 Replies

7. Red Hat

VMBox not Recognizing eth0 on RH.

Hello, I re-installed my laptop and installed a new copy of VMBOX, I created a VM Machine with my Rhel5 and a CEntos copy as well. I am using a laptop HP DV4, I use wireless on the laptop. Usually when I boot up in to either machine I would get eht0 and lo as usual now I just don't get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. IP Networking

iptables On for eth0 and off for other interfaces

Hi all, I am running a CentOS 6.4 box as an IDS and I need to configure one interface as the management interface which will require a firewall. However other ports (in promisc mode without IP) will have to be configured such that IPtables allows all traffic. I need to achieve this by editing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Eth0 not running in redhat 6.4

Hi guys, I really need your help with this. My network interface eth0 is up but not running. I checked udev rules and ifcfg-eth0 files to make sure the mac address are the same. It just would not come up. Please please I will really appreciate the help here. Thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
3 Replies
PPPOE-SNIFF(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    PPPOE-SNIFF(8)

NAME
pppoe-sniff - examine network for non-standard PPPoE frames SYNOPSIS
pppoe-sniff [options] DESCRIPTION
pppoe-sniff listens for likely-looking PPPoE PADR and session frames and deduces extra options required for pppoe(8) to work. Some DSL providers seem to use non-standard frame types for PPPoE frames, and/or require a certain value in the Service-Name field. It is often easier to sniff those values from a machine which can successfully connect rather than try to pry them out of the DSL provider. To use pppoe-sniff, you need two computers, a DSL modem and an Ethernet hub (not an Ethernet switch.) If the DSL modem normally connects directly to your computer's Ethernet card, connect it to the "uplink" port on the Ethernet hub. Plug two computers into normal ports on the hub. On one computer, run whatever software the DSL provider gave you on whatever operating system the DSL provider supports. On the other computer, run Linux and log in as root. On the Linux machine, put the Ethernet interface into promiscuous mode and start pppoe-sniff. If the ethernet interface is eth0, for exam- ple, type these commands: ifconfig eth0 promisc pppoe-sniff -I eth0 On the other machine, start your DSL connection as usual. After a short time, pppoe-sniff should print recommendations for the value of PPPOE_EXTRA. Set this value in /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf. If pppoe-sniff indicates that something special is required in PPPOE_EXTRA, please e- mail this to pppoe@roaringpenguin.com along with the name of your ISP and the manufacturer and model number of your DSL modem. This infor- mation will be collated and provided on the PPPoE web page for users who do not have two computers. After pppoe-sniff finishes (or you stop it if it seems hung), remember to turn off promiscuous mode: ifconfig eth0 -promisc OPTIONS
-I interface The -I option specifies the Ethernet interface to use. Under Linux, it is typically eth0 or eth1. The interface should be "up" and in promiscuous mode before you start pppoe-sniff. -V The -V option causes pppoe-sniff to print its version number and exit. BUGS
pppoe-sniff only works on Linux. AUTHORS
pppoe-sniff was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppd(8), pppoe(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-relay(8), /usr/share/doc/pppoe/README.Debian.gz 4th Berkeley Distribution 3 July 2000 PPPOE-SNIFF(8)