Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Columns to rows conversion in unix Post 302723183 by madsongtel on Monday 29th of October 2012 02:51:04 PM
Old 10-29-2012
Columns to rows conversion in unix

Hi All,

My requirement is to convert the rows to columns, please help me how to do in one command.
Ex: source file is having data like
Code:
ABC,XYZ,123,987,KKK,XXX,666

Need output like
Code:
ABC
XYZ
KKK
XXX

Regards,
Pavan.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 10-30-2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

conversion and transpositions of columns and rows

Hi, I am wondering how to do this more efficiently than I am currently doing it: I have these 3 columns 3315 E14 1 397 E14 2 321 E14 3 27 E14 4 7 E14 5 2 E14 6 But I like them to be displayed like this: 1 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

complicated row to rows conversion

I have a file containing rows with the following format. Field1|Field2|Field3|data1:data data2:data data3:"dataA:data dataB:data" data4:data:data (and so on) I need to format the above row into multiple rows that look like this: Field1|Field2|Field3|data1|data ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newreverie
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

conversion: 3 columns into matrix

Hi guys, here https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/193043-3-column-csv-correlation-matrix-awk-perl.html I found awk script converting awk '{ OFS = ";" if (t) { if (l != $1) t = t OFS $1 } else t = OFS $1 x = x ? x OFS $NF : $NF l = $1 }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grincz
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all the fields(columns) from a .csv file if all rows in that columns are blanks

Hi Friends, I have come across some files where some of the columns don not have data. Key, Data1,Data2,Data3,Data4,Data5 A,5,6,,10,, A,3,4,,3,, B,1,,4,5,, B,2,,3,4,, If we see the above data on Data5 column do not have any row got filled. So remove only that column(Here Data5) and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: group rows by id and simple conversion

Hi all, I am a newbie to awk and trying to learn by doing examples. I got stuck at this relatively simple conversion. The start file looks like: 1 2 "t1" 1 3 "h1" 2 1 "h1" 2 2 "h2" and I want to convert it into 1 t1:2, h1:3; 2 h1:1, h2:2; Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle_fly
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Evaluate 2 columns, add sum IF two columns match on two rows

Hi all, I know this sounds suspiciously like a homework course; but, it is not. My goal is to take a file, and match my "ID" column to the "Date" column, if those conditions are true, add the total number of minutes worked and place it in this file, while not printing the original rows that I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mtucker6784
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Rows to column conversion in Solaris

i am using the command pkginfo -l | /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -e 'VENDOR' -e 'NAME' -e 'VERSION' >> /tmp/test1.txt in order to get name,vendor and version of the applications installed on Solaris machine.The output stored in test1.txt in as shown below: NAME: Solaris Zones (Usr) VERSION: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 csv files by columns, then extract certain columns of matcing rows

Hi all, I'm pretty much a newbie to UNIX. I would appreciate any help with UNIX coding on comparing two large csv files (greater than 10 GB in size), and output a file with matching columns. I want to compare file1 and file2 by 'id' and 'chain' columns, then extract exact matching rows'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkane3
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date conversion DD-MMM-YY to YYYYMMDD for many columns in a file

Hi, Input Col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6-------col26 1|2|3|10-Nov-67|10-Nov-97|4|5-------100 1|2|3|11-Feb-01|01-Dec-15|4|5-------2000 Output Col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6-------col26 1|2|3|19671110|19971010|4|5-------100 1|2|3|20010211|20151201|4|5-------2000 I want to convert... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Conversion of rows to columns using awk based om column value

HI, My Input file data is dn:adcfgeneral id:13343 Name:xxxxxx Password:iutyerwuitywue wpuwt tuiytruityrutyrwtyrwp dn:cdferwjyyyy id:3875 Name:yyyy Password :hgfdsjkfhdsfkdlshf dshfkldshfdklsfh interset:uiuiufj My output should be ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshaila
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)