Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers add a string to a file without line break Post 302721517 by stunn3r on Friday 26th of October 2012 02:23:55 AM
Old 10-26-2012
Hi,

The command with argument " -i" is working fine on local system but not working when I try to put it in my script. Here:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

GRUB="/home/wadhwaso/test"
_pair="$(</home/wadhwaso/login.txt)"
Server_info="/home/wadhwaso/server_info"
for e in $_pair
do
             # extract user and ips for each $e in $_pair
        IFS='@'
        set -- $e
        _user="$1"
        _ip="$2"

sleep 2
        echo "Connecting to server '${_ip}' via SSH..."
        ssh ${_user}@${_ip} "sudo /bin/sed -i '$s/$/ elevator=noop/' /home/wadhwaso/test "
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "completed on ${_ip}" | tee -a "${Server_info}"
        else
        echo "not completed on ${_ip}" | tee -a "${Server_info}"
        fi
done

Can you see why this is happening. Also this is not working too:

Code:
ssh user@server  "sed -i '$s/$/ elevator=noop/' /home/wadhwaso/test"

Last edited by stunn3r; 10-26-2012 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: formatting

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert line break + string in vi (search & replace )

Hello all i have big test file that has allot of structure text something like this : <foo1 *.html> <blah action> somthing 1 somthing 2 </blah> </foo1 > now i will like to insert 2 more lines of text below the <blah action> so it will be like : <foo1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim whitespace and add line break

All, I'm a newbie at shell scripting and regular expressions and I just need to take a file that's arranged like the one below, remove all leading and trailing whitespace and add a line break after each word. I've been able to remove a few spaces using various awk, sed and Perl scripts, but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moose1
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

line break if string exceeds 100chars

I am required to develop a script to look for specific strings in the /var/adm/messages file on our Solaris10 host. When an entry is found in the file then I need that line to be piped to a log file. I have a script with the criteria i just need help with the manipulation of the text string. 1.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s1ckle
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

break the string and print it in a new line after a specific word

Hi Gurus I am new to this forum.. I am using HP Unix OS. I have one single string in input file as shown below Abc123 | cde | fgh | ghik| lmno | Abc456 |one |two |three | four | Abc789 | five | Six | seven | eight | Abc098 | ........ I want to achive the result in a output file as shown... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansr621
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add Some String on each line of file

HI Guys, I am new user its my first post. I have one file in DIR XYZ. File name is ABCDEF.log Now i want to add that file in each line of file. I have data in file ABCDEF.log TestKLFH TEstLKHU HESTLJHG Now i want to update the file with below data ABCDEFG.log:TestKLFH... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asavaliya
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a file by another file: add new line and variable after string is found

hello, I have problem with writing/adjusting a shell script. I searched forum and unfortunately couldn't write scipt based on the information I found. I never wtire such so it's hard for me and I do need to modify one script immediately. case looks like: 1. 'file' that needs to be modified... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bipbip
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the particular position of a line

I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB and add/replace... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace and add line in file with line in another file based on matching string

Hi, I want to achieve something similar to what described in another post: The difference is I want to add the line if the pattern is not found. File 1: A123, valueA, valueB B234, valueA, valueB C345, valueA, valueB D456, valueA, valueB E567, valueA, valueB F678, valueA, valueB ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyu3
11 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)