Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: command for gunzip?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers command for gunzip? Post 302719377 by Yoda on Monday 22nd of October 2012 12:00:00 PM
Old 10-22-2012
Code:
tar -cvf backup.tar backup

Code:
gzip backup.tar

Now you will have backup.tar.gz
This User Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gunzip....problem

Hi........... i have downloaded...sunscreen3.1 lite frm sunfreeware .com and it is in tar.gz format..so i download gzip also... now pls tell me how to install gzip and how to unzip tht sunscreen tar.gz file..............after unzipping i have to untar the tar file or not.....pls tell me in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prafulla
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip

Hi can't unzip a gz file in TurboLinux 7.0 when i'm trying this gunzip filename.tar.gz it always says not in gzip format what should I do...please help me (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CreamHarry
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gunzip syntax help

Hi All, I am a newbie to unix and need help. I am trying to unzip the files in source library to destination library. the input filename can be any thing with abc and after unzip, i want the same file name with original extension suppose,the input file is ABC_jun25.dat.gz after gunzip in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onlyjayaram
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on gunzip

Hi All, I am using UNIX command to unzip the files gzip -d9 DW_*.gz The Xmls are compressed using gzip and it is received in the .gz format at UNIX box which need to be uncompressed. The above command is working fine for 400 compressed xmls(.gz files) but when the count becomes 401 or more i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gunzip

I have a zip file as a.zip and it contains 1m xml files. like a1.xml, a2.xml.... The size is also very big nearly 1GB. I want to extract only a123.xml. Can any one help how can I do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with gunzip

Hi All, I have a file "HOTEL_INFO.zip" and getting the below errors: server1:/home/arun# gunzip -S .zip HOTEL_INFO.zip gunzip: HOTEL_INFO.zip: first entry not deflated or stored -- use unzip server1:/home/arun#unzip HOTEL_INFO.zip ksh: unzip: not found. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunprasad
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip files

Hello Everyone, I have a few files in a directory such as : abc.xyz.txt1.gz abc.xyz.txt2.gz .... .... ... ... abd.xyz.txt100.gz And I want uncompressed files such as: abc.xyz.txt1 abc.xyz.txt2 .... ... ..... .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ad23
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

gunzip with out messages

Hi all, tar cvPf - /data/test | gzip > /data/backups/test.gz i am running th above command when i execute it giving a big list of files that in test which it is tarring..on the terminal.... is der nay way to do it silently ..... like with out getting those messages on the terminal..... ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firestar
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip and tar command

Hi I wanted to tar and gunzip a file named backup tar: backup.tar: Wrote only 2244 of 10240 bytes tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now Please tell me what I am doing wrong? Please do help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 command line gunzip -c get 3 output.

Hi everyone----I have big file like 15G to 20G and took really long time to get the output, cause run 3 steps gunzip -c below to get the ouput. Is there is the way can run 1 command line gunzip -c then get all 3 output (Unzipped Bytes, Records, Record, Length) same time? Please any input for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotran
5 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)