Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirecting tmp files of SORT into different directory Post 302718993 by abhisheksunkari on Sunday 21st of October 2012 07:30:32 PM
Old 10-21-2012
Hello Jim,
Thanks a lot, I was unaware of the fact that, sort would depend on the TMPDIR variable. Anyway I ll try that immediately and let you know. I think it should work now.

Well, the file I am working with has around 33 mil lines.. so thats where the problem is.. I think it should work fine with the command you have given.

Thanks a lot for your time, I appreciate it.

Abhishek S.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

/tmp directory

i heard once that the /tmp directory was a ramfs (swap) that is cleared at reboot time, is this still the case in redhat EL 3 and 4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

2. AIX

loop through the directory for files and sort by date and process the first file

hello i have a requirement where i have a direcotry in which i get files in the format STOCKS.20080114.dat STOCKS.20080115.dat STOCKS.20080117.dat STOCKS.20080118.dat i need to loop through the directory and sort by create date descending order and i need to process the first file. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort all files in a directory retaining originals

Hi, I need to sort all the files in a directory whilst retaining the originals. So if in the directory I have: File1 File2 File3 I want to sort these files so that I would have: File1 File1.sort File2 File2.sort File3 File3.sort where I have added the .sort extension to show... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ledgie
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a set of files by date in a directory?

hi there, I have a directory which contents I can parse dynamically. I end up with a file list. I then want to display those files sorted by date, oldest files first. I have very very little PERL experience...Would anyone know how to do that ? Thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexf
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script which will sort all the files in a directory with the timestamp they were created

Team, Pls help writing a shell script which will sort all the files in a directory with the timestamp they were created. (like ls -lrt) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: asappidi
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to remove millions of tmp files in /html/cache/ directory

Hello, I just saw that on my vps (centOS) my oscommerce with a seo script has created millions of tmp files inside the /html/cache/ directory. I would need to remove all those files (millions), I tried via shell but the vps loads goes to very high and it hangs, is there some way to do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: andymc1
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using gsed with cp to sort files in directory - every N file copy to new place

Hi all, I'm having a problem with some basic piping issues... I have been able to get in a directory and ls | gsed in order to list every N file for instance: ls | gsed -n '2~5p' The thing is I want to be able to copy the output files to a new directory. Basically directory /all has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgoss
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find the GB files in /tmp directory in remote server

Hi, i need help on shell scripting. Main intention of the script is step 1: ssh to remote server Step 2: cd /tmp in remote server Step 3: in tmp i want to grep only files and directories which are in GB sizes All the servers list file is - tmpsrv.txt vi tmpsrv.txt ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
17 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I custom sort the files in a directory using the filenames in a text file.?

Hi all, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to sort files in directory numerically?

Trying to sort a bunch of files numerically but can't seem to get the command just right. This is in a IBM AIX machine. I have a directory that has... backup.bk1 backup.bk100 backup.bk2 backup.bk200 backup.bk3 backup.bk300 There are a lot more files but this is shortened for the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
5 Replies
EVIM(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   EVIM(1)

NAME
evim - easy Vim, edit a file with Vim and setup for modeless editing SYNOPSIS
evim [options] [file ..] eview DESCRIPTION
eVim starts Vim and sets options to make it behave like a modeless editor. This is still Vim but used as a point-and-click editor. This feels a lot like using Notepad on MS-Windows. eVim will always run in the GUI, to enable the use of menus and toolbar. Only to be used for people who really can't work with Vim in the normal way. Editing will be much less efficient. eview is the same, but starts in read-only mode. It works just like evim -R. See vim(1) for details about Vim, options, etc. The 'insertmode' option is set to be able to type text directly. Mappings are setup to make Copy and Paste work with the MS-Windows keys. CTRL-X cuts text, CTRL-C copies text and CTRL-V pastes text. Use CTRL-Q to obtain the original meaning of CTRL-V. OPTIONS
See vim(1). FILES
/usr/share/vim/vim72/evim.vim The script loaded to initialize eVim. AKA
Also Known As "Vim for gumbies". When using evim you are expected to take a handkerchief, make a knot in each corner and wear it on your head. SEE ALSO
vim(1) AUTHOR
Most of Vim was made by Bram Moolenaar, with a lot of help from others. See the Help/Credits menu. 2002 February 16 EVIM(1)