Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Counting specific characters within each field Post 302718855 by Homa on Sunday 21st of October 2012 09:16:25 AM
Old 10-21-2012
consider I have only "1" in the first field, this script gives me 4 but I want it to give me 0 too as the number of "2". So, to produce an output like this:

4 0

how I can put a condition in the previous script for that?

Thank you very much

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Dears, I would like to count the number of "(" and ")" that occur in a file. (syntax checking script). I tried to use "grep -c" and this works fine as long as there is only one character (for which I do a search) on a line. Has anyone an idea how I can count the number of specific characters... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: plelie2
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

extract field of characters after a specific pattern - using UNIX shell script

Hello, Below is my input file's content ( in HP-UX platform ): ABCD120672-B21 1 ABCD142257-002 1 ABCD142257-003 1 ABCD142257-006 1 From the above, I just want to get the field of 13 characters that comes after 'ABCD' i.e '120672-B21'... . Could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting characters

Hi All, I need some help in counting the number of letters in a big file with separations. Following is the file I have >AB_1 MLKKPIIIGVTGGSGGGKTSVSRAILDSFPNARIAMIQHDSYYKDQSHMSFEERVKTNYDHPLAFDTDFM IQQLKELLAGRPVDIPIYDYKKHTRSNTTFRQDPQDVIIVEGILVLEDERLRDLMDIKLFVDTDDDIRII... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters within a file

Ok say I wanted to count every Y in a data file. Then set Y as my delimiter so that I can separate my file by taking all the contents that occur BEFORE the first Y and store them in a variable so that I may use this content later on in my program. Then I could do the same thing with the next Y's... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: puttster
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting characters at each position

Hi All, here's a question from newbie I have a data like this, which set of small DNA sequences separated by new line GAATCCGGAAACAGCAACTTCAAANCA GTNATTCGGGCCAAACTGTCGAA TTNGGCAACTGTTAGAGCTCATGCGACA CCTGCTAAACGAGTTCGAGTTGAANGA TTNCGGAAGTGGTCGCTGGCACGG ACNTGCATGTACGGAGTGACGAAACCI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: amits22
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Error in script while counting processes

Hi all, Below is a script I'm writing and giving me error: #!/usr/bin/sh if ; then echo "Success!" else echo "Failure!" fi Normally if I do ps -ef|grep dw.sap|wc -l it gives me output of 18. So my script checks if it's greater than 17 it echoes success else failure ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frum
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace and remove few junk characters from a specific field?

I would like to remove all characters starting with "%" and ending with ")" in the 4th field - please help!! 1412007819.864 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=0) 0.434 0.112 1412007819.866 /device/services/heartbeatxx 204 0.547%!i(int=1) 0.423 0.123... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snemuk14
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find records with specific characters in 2 nd field

Hi , I have a requirement to read a file ( 5 fields , ~ delimited) and find the records which contain anything other than Alphabets, Numbers , comma ,space and dot . ie a-z and A-Z and 0-9 and . and " " and , in 2nd field. Once I do that i would want the result to have field1|<flag> flag can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashwin3086
2 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)