Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes??? Post 302717889 by Corona688 on Thursday 18th of October 2012 05:08:29 PM
Old 10-18-2012
Code:
echo -n "$MY_STR" | while read ...

The main shell forks off a copy of itself to run while read independently of the echo so they can both run while connected by a pipe. The copy, or "sub-shell", runs successfully, setting all your variables and such as you please, until the pipe runs out of information and returns EOF. Then the loop quits.

Then the subshell dies. Control is returned to the main shell, which remains unchanged. You set all your variables in the subshell, not the main one.

In short: It's the pipe that does it. Your shell and everything behind the pipe are different processes and don't share variables.

Pipes are overkill if you have substring operators anyway. This way of getting a single character ought to work identically in bash and ksh:

Code:
N=0

while [ "$N" -lt "${#STRING}" ]
do
        echo "${STRING:$N:1}"
        let N=N+1
done

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop and concetnating values in a variable

Hi, I have file abc.txt which has keys and emails addresses abc.txt emailkey1:sam@abc.com emailkey1:tom@abc.com emailkey2:rqw@abc.com emailkey2:tut@abc.com I have a shell script where i pass key as the parameter and i want all the email addresses within that key concatenated by a comma... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: samit_9999
21 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting values from variable in a loop

I have a set of variables: f1="./someFolder" . . f10="./someOtherFolder" And I'm trying to use the following loop for (( i = 0; i <= 10; i++ )) do temp=f$i done I'm trying the get the values from my set of variable to make directories, but I can't seem the get those value... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kriuz
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use array values after the loop.

- I m retreving values from database and wish to use those values later in my shell script. I m placing these values in an array da_data but outside loop array is empty.Problem is its treating array as local inside loop hence array is empty outside loop. Plz go through the script and suggest how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to an array via for/while loop

I need to do something like this: for i in 1 2 3 4 5; do arr=$(awk 'NR="$i" { print $2 }' file_with_5_records) done That is, parse a file and assign values to an array in an ascending order relative to the number of record in the file that is being processed on each loop. Is my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fiori_musicali
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop - how to run processes one after another (2nd starts after first completes, and so on)

I'm a programming noob. I'm trying to run a memory intensive process for many files. But when I use the following script, it runs fine for the first 5-7 files, then runs out of memory. Monitoring the output files, it's clear the processes are going on in parallel. Once 5-7 of the files are being... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable values within for loop

Hi All I am trying to fetch the size of three files into three separate variables within a for loop and am doing something like this: for i in ATT1 ATT2 ATT3 do size_$i=`ls -ltr $i | awk '{print $5}'` echo ${size_$i} done but am getting the below error: ksh: size_ATT1=522: not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swasid
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap the values in array using for loop?

array=( 8 5 6 2 3 4 7 1 9 0 ) for i in "${array}" do echo $i done # i need the output like this by swapping of array values 0 9 1 7 4 3 2 6 5 8 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meeran Rizvi
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert values in an array using a loop

I have a headerless array of 1000 columns x 100000 rows. The array only contains 4 values; 0/0, 0/1, 1/1, ./. Here I am showing the 1st 3 rows and columns of the input array 0/0 0/0 1/1 0/1 0/1 0/1 0/0 ./. 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0 I would like to convert the values in... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geneanalyst
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array not printing values if used in a loop

Hello! I'm making an English to Morse Code translator and I was able to mostly get it all working by looking through older posts here; however, I have one small problem. When I run it it's just printing spaces for where the characters should be. It runs the right amount of times, and if I try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoleman10
3 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int pipe(int fd[2]) DESCRIPTION
Pipe creates a buffered channel for interprocess I/O communication. Two file descriptors are returned in fd. Data written to fd[1] is available for reading from fd[0] and data written to fd[0] is available for reading from fd[1]. After the pipe has been established, cooperating processes created by subsequent fork(2) calls may pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The bytes placed on a pipe by one write are contiguous even if many processes are writing. Write boundaries are preserved: each read terminates when the read buffer is full or after reading the last byte of a write, whichever comes first. The number of bytes available to a read(2) is reported in the Length field returned by fstat or dirfstat on a pipe (see stat(2)). When all the data has been read from a pipe and the writer has closed the pipe or exited, read(2) will return 0 bytes. Writes to a pipe with no reader will generate a note sys: write on closed pipe. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
intro(2), read(2), pipe(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Sets errstr. BUGS
If a read or a write of a pipe is interrupted, some unknown number of bytes may have been transferred. When a read from a pipe returns 0 bytes, it usually means end of file but is indistinguishable from reading the result of an explicit write of zero bytes. PIPE(2)