Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk loop and using shell in awk Post 302717275 by xshang on Thursday 18th of October 2012 12:03:53 AM
Old 10-18-2012
awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone!

I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this:

Code:
AABBCC
AEFJKLFG
FALEF
FAIWEHF

What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name.

This is what I want to get.

HTML Code:
AABBCC  232  546   file1
AABBCC  432  653   file2
AABBCC  432  653   file3
AEFJKLFG  45   45   file1
AEFJKLFG  34   2     file3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable to awk while in a shell for loop

I am a newbie to awk and c programming, however am not a unix newbie. However, I do need help with a kshell script I am writing. It is almost complete, the last step is killing me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. What I am trying to do is cat a text file that has usernames. Then, using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: synergy_texas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell loop and awk

Hello, everyone! I merge two files using awk like following, and there are two files involved in this command. awk 'NR==FNR{A=$0; next} $1=A' file1 FS=, OFS=',' file2 > tempfile.txt Further, I need to deal with hundreds of files at the same time. I want to make a loop like this:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print each output of loop in new column using awk or shell

I have this output from a loop a11 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8 12,8 5,4 3,6 a12 10,11 12,13 15,18 20,22 a13 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maryre89
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If else condition inside for loop of awk command in UNIX shell scripting

Hi , Please excuse me for opening a new thread i am unable to find out the syntax error in my if else condition inside for loop in awk command , my actual aim is to print formatted html td tag when if condition (True) having string as "failed", could anyone please advise what is the right... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikram
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic loop awk/shell script question..

Hi, Sorry if this is a newbie question. I guess you can use either awk or shell script for this sequence of operations, but knowing very little about either of them I'm not sure how I should try to write this. The basic objective is to copy certain files that are scattered all over my... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc2001
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies
MERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  MERGE(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
merge [ options ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
merge incorporates all changes that lead from file2 to file3 into file1. The result ordinarily goes into file1. merge is useful for com- bining separate changes to an original. Suppose file2 is the original, and both file1 and file3 are modifications of file2. Then merge combines both changes. A conflict occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in a common segment of lines. If a conflict is found, merge normally outputs a warning and brackets the conflict with <<<<<<< and >>>>>>> lines. A typical conflict will look like this: <<<<<<< file A lines in file A ======= lines in file B >>>>>>> file B If there are conflicts, the user should edit the result and delete one of the alternatives. OPTIONS
-A Output conflicts using the -A style of diff3(1), if supported by diff3. This merges all changes leading from file2 to file3 into file1, and generates the most verbose output. -E, -e These options specify conflict styles that generate less information than -A. See diff3(1) for details. The default is -E. With -e, merge does not warn about conflicts. -L label This option may be given up to three times, and specifies labels to be used in place of the corresponding file names in conflict reports. That is, merge -L x -L y -L z a b c generates output that looks like it came from files x, y and z instead of from files a, b and c. -p Send results to standard output instead of overwriting file1. -q Quiet; do not warn about conflicts. -V Print 's version number. DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no conflicts, 1 for some conflicts, 2 for trouble. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.7; Release Date: 1995/06/01. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995 Paul Eggert. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). BUGS
It normally does not make sense to merge binary files as if they were text, but merge tries to do it anyway. GNU
1995/06/01 MERGE(1)