Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for unknown date inside the file and replace to new date Post 302713935 by Daro on Thursday 11th of October 2012 12:25:46 PM
Old 10-11-2012
Searching for unknown date inside the file and replace to new date

Hello,

Iam a newbies to Shell scripting. Iam trying to replace the date inside the file to new date. is there anyway that we can just use the pattern to search as "[0-9]..." I have many files want to replace with the same date, and each file contains different date.

Thanks for your help.

~Daro

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching a file by date...

It's possible to use "find" to search a file that was modified for example between 5/10/2004 and 7/11/2005? How can i do this? I saw there is option -mtime, but i don't understand how to use it in this case. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a date and replacing with another date

I have a text file that i want to search through and pick out any dates that are formatted like MM/DD/YYYY and replace them with a date i want like 10/29/2009. any idea show i would do this?:) Snapshot of my text file: test4>s44syd5172>070>528>ENU>nongnuan>wanrawee>sr2330532>... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: infiant
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching the date pattern in a file

Hi, I would like to search the pattern based on the date like "2010/08/15". I tried using / in the file giving /<<pattern>>. when i tried this it turns to /2010/+8, but not going to the pattern what ever i want. This is how the data in the file. INFO | jvm 1 | 2010/05/26 13:30:33... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B)

In KSH, I am pasting 2 almost identical files together and each one has a date and time on each line. I need to determine if the first instance of the date/time is greater than the 2nd instance of the date/time. If the first instance is greater, I just need to echo that line. I thought I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a file inside a .tar.gz file by date

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a way to search for a file inside a .tar.gz file without extracting it? If there is, is there a way to search for that file by date? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to replace the date inside a node of several rdf files

Hi, I have a rdf zip file. This zip file consists of several *.rdf files. I need to replace the date (this is different for each rdf) inside the node "Date_de_Publication_Periodique" of these rdf files. e.g., awk '/Date_de_Publication_Periodique/ && /XMLSchema#date/' MM_NN-A1B1C1_ABC.rdf ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ribosome
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find week of the year for given date using date command inside awk

Hi all, Need an urgent help on the below scenario. script: awk -F"," 'BEGIN { #some variable assignment} { #some calculation and put values in array} END { year=#getting it from array and assume this will be 2014 month=#getting it from array and this will be 05 date=#... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaidhas
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

“sed” replace date in text file with current date

We want to call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ Code: line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to write a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to replace a parameter(variable) date value inside a text files daily with current date?

Hello All, we what we call a parameter file (.txt) where my application read dynamic values when the job is triggered, one of such values are below: abc.txt ------------------ line1 line2 line3 $$EDWS_DATE_INSERT=08-27-2019 line4 $$EDWS_PREV_DATE_INSERT=08-26-2019 I am trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace date in file every day with current date

I Have text like XXX_20190908.csv.gz need to replace Only date in this format with current date every day Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yamasani1991
1 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)