Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk: too many output files created from while loop Post 302712169 by dodgerfan78 on Monday 8th of October 2012 10:10:39 PM
Old 10-08-2012
That works! thank you agama! Smilie I am just learning awk, so I will keep that "next" command in mind next time.

P.S. and thanks for the clarification, that is what i was suspecting but didn't understand how it worked

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

total output from a file created in a while loop

I have a while loop which looks for files and then sets a variable to give me the record count of each file: current_members=`wc -l ${DATA_DIR}/$MEMBERS_FILENAME | nawk '{ printf "%d\n", $0}'` I am out putting the totals into a file: echo $current_members >> ../data/out_total_members.dat ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with a file path as awk output in for loop

When I run the following command in the shell it works fine. It prints a city name and then a path for a file. ~$ for i in `awk -F':' '{print $0}' /home/knoppix/Desktop/data/subs | grep -m 1 $ city | sed "s/:/ /"` >do >echo $i >done Now, when I place it in this shell script (sh) it prints... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: afroCluster
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop returns more output with awk

I need to get total number of hdisk not assigned to any VGs. PDC # lspv |grep None |awk '{print $1}' |wc 131 131 1099 So, it shows 131 hdisks. I need to look at the individual hdisk fget_config info like below: PDC # fget_config -Av |grep hdisk230 hdisk230 dac1 229... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected output within a for loop using awk

Hi all, after hours of playing around with this and scouring the web I decided to ask my fellow UNIX operators as I can't wrap my head around this. First off, I want to parse an input file with tabs (I could pull this off easily with different delimiters) but I was trying to make nicer... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keepcase
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output error while loop through array

Have built this script, the output is what I needed, but NR 6 is omitted. Why? Is it an error? I am using Gawk. '{nr=$2;f = $1} END{for (i=1;i<=f;i++) if (nr != i) print i, nr }' input1.csv >output1.csvinput1.csv 1 9 3 5 4 1 7 6 8 5 10 6 output1.csv > with the missing line number 6. 6 is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print each output of loop in new column using awk or shell

I have this output from a loop a11 1,2 3,4 5,6 7,8 12,8 5,4 3,6 a12 10,11 12,13 15,18 20,22 a13 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maryre89
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give full access to output files created by .sh script run via crontab?

Hi Expert, I have a .sh script in my home/new_dir/script.sh This script creates number of output files at home/new_dir/email, home/new_dir/logs dir. I am running this script using crontab (owner root). Now this output files are getting created with rw-r----- 1 root root So if i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeet1982
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print awk output in same line ,For loop

My code is something like below. #/bin/bash for i in `ps -ef | grep pmon | grep -v bash | grep -v grep | grep -v perl | grep -v asm | grep -v MGMT|awk '{print $1" "$8}'` do echo $i ORACLE_SID=`echo $line | awk '{print $2}'` USERNAME=`echo $line | awk '{print $1}'` done ============= But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tapia
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Multiple Files in the For Loop

while IFS= read -r line do # sV for version detection nmap -T4 -Pn -v -sS "$line" > "text/$line" done < <(grep '' $file) Hi, where line represents the IP. I am using NMAP to do scanning. How can I set to execute that command in the loop several concurrently at a time instead of one... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWgawk | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Volatile | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for gawk is available on http://opensolaris.org. Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)