Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading 2 CSV files and filtering data based on group Post 302710253 by elixir_sinari on Thursday 4th of October 2012 06:36:01 AM
Old 10-04-2012
The solution that I've provided works perfectly fine with your sample inputs.
Tested with the awk on AIX 6.1 and gawk on cygwin.
Which awk version are you using?
Is there any white-space in any of the fields of file1 and file2?
Would you post the output of head -2 <file>|od -bc of your 2 files?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to listout the files based on group by the date...?

Hi, How to listout the files based on group by of date...? suppose if have list of 10 files which was created by on today(Apr 18) and yesterday(Apr 17 ) in my personal directory like this if i issue ls -rtl | grep "Apr 18" list out the file which was created/updated only on Apr 18th. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with pulling / filtering data from a .csv

Good day Gurus, I have a csv file that contains an inventory of active servers. This csv file contains a well over a hundred systems (IBM, SUN, HP). It also contains those systems details. See below for an example hostA,invver,1.02,20100430 hostA,date,08/30/2010,06:18 hostA,use,"Unknown... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuffyDMonkey
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the data from CSV and performing search through shell script

Hello, I am working on building a script that does the below actions together in my Linux server. 1) First, have to read the list of strings mentioned in CSV and store it in the shell script 2) Second, pick one by one from the string list, and search a particular folder for files that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikrams
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data in a csv file based on a certain field.

I have a csv file that I need to extract some data from depending on another field after reading info from another text file. The text file would say have 592560 in it. The csv file may have some data like so Field 1 Field2 Field3 Field4 Field5 Field6 20009756 1 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: GroveTuckey
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching and Merging csv data fields based on a common field

Dear List, I have a file of csv data which has a different line per compliance check per host. I do not want any omissions from this csv data file which looks like this: date,hostname,status,color,check 02-03-2012,COMP1,FAIL,Yellow,auth_pass_change... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed delete a line from csv file based on specific data in two separate fields

Hello, :wall: I have a 12 column csv file. I wish to delete the entire line if column 7 = hello and column 12 = goodbye. I have tried everything that I can find in all of my ref books. I know this does not work /^*,*,*,*,*,*,"hello",*,*,*,*,"goodbye"/d Any ideas? Thanks Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chris Eagleson
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to extract data from csv file based on certain conditions

Hi Guys, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for extracting data from csv file based on column values.

Hi all, I am new to shell script.I need your help to write a shell script. I need to write a shell script to extract data from a .csv file where columns are ',' separated. The file has 5 columns having values say column 1,column 2.....column 5 as below along with their valuesm.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filtering data from text to csv

Hello, Is there a way to filerter data from a text file as shown below to a Column e.g. hostname nfsmount as two separate column. Currently I could get hostname and the mount is appearing below.. using this script #! /bin/bash for i in `cat fqdn.txt` do echo "$i ............ " >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cy Pqa
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Filtering records of a csv file based on a value of a column

Hi, I tried filtering the records in a csv file using "awk" command listed below. awk -F"~" '$4 ~ /Active/{print }' inputfile > outputfile The output always has all the entries. The same command worked for different users from one of the forum links. content of file I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmudikonda
3 Replies
CSV(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation						  CSV(3pm)

NAME
Class::CSV - Class based CSV parser/writer SYNOPSIS
use Class::CSV; my $csv = Class::CSV->parse( filename => 'test.csv', fields => [qw/item qty sub_total/] ); foreach my $line (@{$csv->lines()}) { $line->sub_total('$'. sprintf("%0.2f", $line->sub_total())); print 'Item: '. $line->item(). " ". 'Qty: '. $line->qty(). " ". 'SubTotal: '. $line->sub_total(). " "; } my $cvs_as_string = $csv->string(); $csv->print(); my $csv = Class::CSV->new( fields => [qw/userid username/], line_separator => " "; ); $csv->add_line([2063, 'testuser']); $csv->add_line({ userid => 2064, username => 'testuser2' }); DESCRIPTION
This module can be used to create objects from CSV files, or to create CSV files from objects. Text::CSV_XS is used for parsing and creating CSV file lines, so any limitations in Text::CSV_XS will of course be inherant in this module. EXPORT None by default. METHOD
CONSTRUCTOR parse the parse constructor takes a hash as its paramater, the various options that can be in this hash are detailed below. Required Options o fields - an array ref containing the list of field names to use for each row. there are some reserved words that cannot be used as field names, there is no checking done for this at the moment but it is something to be aware of. the reserved field names are as follows: "string", "set", "get". also field names cannot contain whitespace or any characters that would not be allowed in a method name. Source Options (only one of these is needed) o filename - the path of the CSV file to be opened and parsed. o filehandle - the file handle of the CSV file to be parsed. o objects - an array ref of objects (e.g. Class::DBI objects). for this to work properly the field names provided in fields needs to correspond to the field names of the objects in the array ref. o classdbi_objects - depreciated use objects instead - using classdbi_objects will still work but its advisable to update your code. Optional Options o line_separator - the line seperator to be included at the end of every line. defaulting to " " (unix carriage return). new the new constructor takes a hash as its paramater, the same options detailed in parse apply to new however no Source Options can be used. this constructor creates a blank CSV object of which lines can be added via add_line. ACCESSING lines returns an array ref containing objects of each CSV line (made via Class::Accessor). the field names given upon construction are available as accessors and can be set or get. for more information please see the notes below or the perldoc for Class::Accessor. the lines accessor is also able to be updated/retrieved in the same way as individual lines fields (examples below). Example retrieving the lines: my @lines = @{$csv->lines()}; removing the first line: pop @lines; $csv->lines(@lines); sorting the lines: @lines = sort { $a->userid() <=> $b->userid() } @lines: $csv->lines(@lines); sorting the lines (all-in-one way): $csv->lines([ sort { $a->userid() <=> $b->userid() } @{$csv->lines()} ]); Retrieving a fields value there is two ways to retrieve a fields value (as documented in Class::Accessor). firstly you can call the field name on the object and secondly you can call "get" on the object with the field name as the argument (multiple field names can be specified to retrieve an array of values). examples are below. my $value = $line->test(); OR my $value = $line->get('test'); OR my @values = $line->get(qw/test test2 test3/); Setting a fields value setting a fields value is simmilar to getting a fields value. there are two ways to set a fields value (as documented in Class::Accessor). firstly you can simply call the field name on the object with the value as the argument or secondly you can call "set" on the object with a hash of fields and their values to set (this isn't standard in Class::Accessor, i have overloaded the "set" method to allow this). examples are below. $line->test('123'); OR $line->set( test => '123' ); OR $line->set( test => '123', test2 => '456' ); Retrieving a line as a string to retrieve a line as a string simply call "string" on the object. my $string = $line->string(); new_line returns a new line object, this can be useful for to "splice" a line into lines (see example below). you can pass the values of the line as an ARRAY ref or a HASH ref. Example my $line = $csv->new_line({ userid => 123, domainname => 'splicey.com' }); my @lines = $csv->lines(); splice(@lines, 1, 0, $line); OR splice(@{$csv->lines()}, 1, 0, $csv->new_line({ userid => 123, domainname => 'splicey.com' })); add_line adds a line to the lines stack. this is mainly useful when the new constructor is used but can of course be used with any constructor. it will add a new line to the end of the lines stack. you can pass the values of the line as an ARRAY ref or a HASH ref. examples of how to use this are below. Example $csv->add_line(['house', 100000, 4]); $csv->add_line({ item => 'house', cost => 100000, bedrooms => 4 }); OUTPUT string returns the object as a string (CSV file format). print calls "print" on string (prints the CSV to STDOUT). SEE ALSO
Text::CSV_XS, Class::Accessor AUTHOR
David Radunz, <david@boxen.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004 by David Radunz This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.0 2007-02-08 CSV(3pm)