Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hard drive formating
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Hard drive formating Post 302709819 by Fingerz on Wednesday 3rd of October 2012 03:46:06 PM
Old 10-03-2012
Well I installed Fedora 12 on the same disk that was giving me errors when trying to install Fedora 17. I have never had to dig so deep to install an OS as to getting into actually drivers and such. This is what I have.
Code:
$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS645DX Host & Memory & AGP Controller
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS962 [MuTIOL Media IO] (rev 04)
00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
00:02.3 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] FireWire Controller
00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:03.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.1 Controller (rev 0f)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0b.0 SCSI storage controller: Artop Electronic Corp AEC6712U SCSI (rev 08)
00:0e.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
00:0e.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 50)
00:0e.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 51)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4200] (rev a3)

$ lshw

*-disk
                description: ATA Disk
                product: WDC WD1200BB-00C
                vendor: Western Digital
                physical id: 0
                bus info: scsi@1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/sda
                version: 17.0
                serial: WD-WMA8C2759689
                size: 111GiB (120GB)
                capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=d38ed38e

Further I now have tried using the pregrade with no avail. Each time its goes throu the whole process of downloading ect sucessfuly to the point of rebooting. Reboot and still in Version 12. Checked the grub file and kernal does not get updated. First tried 12 - 17, then 12 -16, and finally tried 12 -13, none have worked yet. After the fresh 12 install I have done

yum update yum
yum update -- installed 1200 updates
yum install preupgrade
preupgrade

Last edited by Corona688; 10-03-2012 at 05:18 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I Want To Automount My Hard Drive!!!

:confused: Im as newbie as they come....... I just loaded Red Hat 8.0 on my computer. I have a second hard drive that i reformatted with a Fat32 so I could share it with my XP and Linux partions....... I have like 4000 mp3's on it and i would like to get it to auto mount when Linux boots....? Or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mynameiskyle
5 Replies

2. SCO

Processor and Hard Drive

I trying to learn Unix and I am using SCO Unixware 7.1. Below are three question that I have: 1) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out the system processor speed. 2) Can someone tell me what command I can use to find out what's the hard drive size of my unix box. 3) Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: etaup02
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to copy old hard drive to new hard drive.

:confused: ........I have a new hard drive and I need to copy ALL info from the old to the new. I would like to use the dd command. I know the command is as follows...... dd if=/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 of=/dev/rdsk/???????? Where I have the question marks is the problem. How do I find out what the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

5. AIX

Hard Drive Question

Good day, I have an rs/6000 server, model 7044-270. I bought a 2nd hard drive for it but im not sure its the right one. (fru:H13060) As you surely know, the 7044-270 hard drives are put in some sort of tray/carrier. There is a cable that will interface the HDD with the tray/carrier so the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Netghost
0 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Hard Drive Temperature?

Hi, I just set up a raid Z array in solaris xpress and I notice that the drives feel pretty damn hot. I use speedfan to monitor the temperatures of the hard drives in XP. Is there a similar program for solrais? I assume there would be since the drives all have temp sensors in them, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciscocbee
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Using the rest of my hard drive

Hi When I installed opensolaris, I installed it on a 20GB partition. How do I make use of the other 300GB I have spare? format shows:- -bash-3.2# format Searching for disks...done AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS: 0. c3d0 <DEFAULT cyl 2607 alt 2 hd 255 sec 63> ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellotommy
12 Replies

8. Solaris

formating and repartitioning an external hard drives

Version: solaris 10 x86 I just got a western digital external harddrive formated with fat 32. this drive came with some setup files which is meant for windows or mac. I want to reformat and partition this drive into two ( for solaris and windows) such that the setup files will still be there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seyiisq
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mount old hard drive

Hi guys, I have been looking around and searching for the past hour and did not see anything. but please forgive me if I missed something. I had a sparc 10 ultra cpu die on me, I got a replacement server from a very generous guy here, now I am getting around to remounting my old hard drive with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DrDarkMatter
0 Replies
EHCI(4)                                                    BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual                                                    EHCI(4)

NAME
ehci -- USB Enhanced Host Controller driver SYNOPSIS
device ehci DESCRIPTION
The ehci driver provides support for the USB Enhanced Host Controller Interface, which is used by USB 2.0 controllers. EHCI controllers are peculiar in that they can only handle the USB 2.0 protocol. This means that they normally have one or more companion controllers (i.e., ohci(4) or uhci(4)) handling USB 1.x devices. Consequently each USB connector is electrically connected to two USB con- trollers. The handling of this is totally automatic, but can be noticed since USB 1.x and USB 2.0 devices plugged in to the same connector appear to connect to different USB busses. SEE ALSO
ohci(4), uhci(4), usb(4) HISTORY
The ehci device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BUGS
The driver is not finished and is quite buggy. There is currently no support for isochronous transfers. BSD March 20, 2005 BSD