Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris I/O error on Solaris sparc machine Post 302709153 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 2nd of October 2012 07:06:08 PM
Old 10-02-2012
Can you show what you get when you try this series of commands
Code:
#does this command at least show spool as a directory and run as a directory?
ls -lad /var    
# if it does try
cd /var/spool
# if no errors try this  and show full output, including errors
ls -l

I think the file system may be damaged. /var/run is a tmpfs file system, it should be there. What is the version of Solaris, please. Or the output of
Code:
uname -a

This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Where to buy used Sparc machine

Hello, I plan to take the SCSA exam. I think if I have a Sparc machine that will be very helpful, though I could run VMWare on Win system. So could anyone know where I can buy a used workstaion. I am not dare going to eBay :) , (I am not sure the source is reliable). I live in up NY state. And... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billshu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Booting SPARC 5 Machine 's CD-ROM

Hi, I have inherited a Ultra 5 SPARC machine that I need to boot from its CD-ROM. WHen I turn on the machine it just boots to its hard drive. How do I get it to boot from the CD-ROM. I am a Solaris newbie.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC?

Hi Gurus can I emulate solaris/sparc on virtualbox? Or other emulator to run solaris for sparc in my win7 PC? regards, Israel. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Unable to login Solaris 10 Sparc - Data Access Error

Hello everyone, This is the first time I am installing Solaris. I have SunBlade 1500 Wrkstn. I installed Solaris 10 Sparc. The installation went successfully but I don't get the login screen. I get the following error message: Boot device: disk:a File and agrs:- Data Access Error Ok ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfsaeed
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Need gcc binary for a SPARC machine

The machine I am trying to compile on does have /usr/sfw/bin and all the files in it, EXCEPT gcc !! This is a SUN Sparc-1 machine, so the binary does matter to match this. Can someone send me a gcc so I can put it locally for compilation purposes? Or point me a a site that has a compiled-ready... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve701
17 Replies

6. Ubuntu

GUI for Gutsy running a SPARC Machine

I am having a hard time trying to find a repository that supports Gutsy 7.10 SPARC (I'm running a Sun Blade 1000 with an Ultra SPARC processor). Any idea how i can get a gui on my machine? Thanks in advance for the help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swilso
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Service error on sparc server running solaris 10

Hi, I am getting following service error on one of the sparc servers running solaris 10 - Code : $ svcs -a | grep "maintenance" maintenance Nov_08 svc:/application/management/sma:default $ svcs -xv svc:/application/management/sma:default (net-snmp SNMP daemon) State: maintenance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmin
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris SPARC boot error

Hi Admins, When i tried to boot the system from ALOM console i am getting below error and not sure what caused this error. Btw the machine is running on Solaris SPARC 10. Can you shed some light on this? {b} ok boot -sv SC Alert: Host System has Reset SC Alert: Host system has... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: prash358
23 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris virtual machine SPARC?

Hello, please, can somebody tell me if can i virtualize Solaris 11 SPARC architecture in a x86 PC? Virtualbox allows doing that? i need to run Solaris 11 SPARC to make a lab, and dont have any SUN machine to do on it. Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: MuziKizuM
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Start /SYS on SUN SPARC does not start machine [SUN SPARC ENTERPRISE T-5240]

-> start /SYS Are you sure you want to start /SYS (y/n)? y Starting /SYS ]-> show HOST /HOST Targets: bootmode diag domain Properties: autorestart = reset autorunonerror = false bootfailrecovery = poweroff ... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
29 Replies
ARCHIVE(8)                                                    System Manager's Manual                                                   ARCHIVE(8)

NAME
archive - Usenet article archiver SYNOPSIS
archive [ -a archive ] [ -f ] [ -i index ] [ -m ] [ -r ] [ input ] DESCRIPTION
Archive makes copies of files specified on its standard input. It is normally run either as a channel feed under innd(8), or by a script before expire(8) is run. Archive reads the named input file, or standard input if no file is given. The input is taken as a set of lines. Blank lines and lines starting with a number sign (``#'') are ignored. All other lines should specify the name of a file to archive. If a filename is not an absolute pathname, it is taken to be relative to /var/spool/news. Files are copied to a directory within the archive directory, /var/spool/news/news.archive. The default is to create a hierarchy that mim- ics the input files; intermediate directories will be created as needed. For example, the input file comp/sources/unix/2211 (article 2211 in the newsgroup comp.sources.unix) will be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp/sources/unix/2211. OPTIONS
-a archive If the ``-a'' flag is used then its argument specifies the directory to archive in instead of the default. -f If the ``-f'' flag is used, then all directory names will be flattened out, replacing the slashes with periods. In this case, the file would be copied to /var/spool/news/news.archive/comp.sources.unix/2211. -i If the ``-i'' flag is used, then archive will append one line to the specified index file for each article that it copies. This line will contain the destination name and the Message-ID and Subject headers. -m Files are copied by making a link. If that fails a new file is created. If the ``-m'' flag is used, then the file will be copied to the destination, and the input file will be replaced with a symbolic link pointing to the new file. -r By default, archive sets its standard error to /var/log/news/errlog. To suppress this redirection, use the ``-r'' flag. EXIT STATUS
If the input is exhausted, archive will exit with a zero status. If an I/O error occures, it will try to spool its input, copying it to a file. If there was no input filename, the standard input will be copied to /var/spool/news/out.going/archive and the program will exit. If an input filename was given, a temporary file named input.bch (if input is an absolute pathname) or /var/spool/news/out.going/input.bch (if the filename does not begin with a slash) is created. Once the input is copied, archive will try to rename this temporary file to be the name of the input file, and then exit. EXAMPLES
A typical newsfeeds(5) entry to archive most source newsgroups is as follows: source-archive :!*,*sources*,!*wanted*,!*.d :Tc,Wn :/usr/lib/news/bin/archive -f -i /usr/spool/news/news.archive/INDEX HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. This is revision 1.14, dated 1996/10/29. SEE ALSO
newsfeeds(5). ARCHIVE(8)