Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files Post 302707235 by S.Praveen Kumar on Friday 28th of September 2012 08:40:52 AM
Old 09-28-2012
Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files

Hi,

I need help in shell scripting. If someone can help me, that would be great!

Problem. I want Linux Script to compare two folders and copy missing files.

Description.
I have two directories

/dir1
/dir2

I need to copy all distinct/new/unique/missing files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. Condition is , It should only check files 2 days old specified in File pattern below.

ex:
/dir1 Files.

filetoTest_20120923.tar.gz
filetoTestAndCopy_20120922.tar.gz
filetoRead_20120925 (This file does not have any extension)
filetoTest_20120918.tar.gz
filetoTestAndCopy_20120925.tar.gz
filetoRead_20120927
filetoTestAndCopy_20120927.tar.gz

Now, files in /dir2/

filetoTest_20120923.tar.gz
filetoTestAndCopy_20120922.tar.gz
filetoRead_20120925 (This file does not have any extension)
filetoTest_20120918.tar.gz

Thus, the script should run and copy the files
filetoRead_20120927
filetoTestAndCopy_20120927.tar.gz

from dir1 to dir2. (Two days old)

Thanks in advance for the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the checksum of files in 2 different folders

Hi I have 2 different folders on different machines. they are supposed to be same but some time for unknown reason they are not. then we have to generate a report for files which are not matching. I was doing as below - cd folder1 find . -type f | sort | cksum >1.txt cd folder2 find .... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in two folders and delete missing ones

I do not know much about shell scripting so I am at a loss here. If someone can help me, that would be great! I have two directories /dir1 /dir2 I need to delete all files from /dir1 and that does not have a correspondent file in /dir2. It should NOT check file suffixes in /dir2 . Why?... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaah
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Helppppppp I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Helpppppppppppppp Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need script Copy permissions of files and folders from one server to another

Hi.. I have 2 servers with linux suse10. I made a mistake and on one of the servers changed with chmod the permission of root in directory /. In the other servers the permissions are correct Please i need a script, to change the permissions of one server 1, using the same permission of the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ave-phoenix
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP! Need to compare 2 folders on 2 different systems, and copy unmatched filenames to other folder

This has been tearing my hair out. I need to: 1: compare server1:/data/archive/ to server2:/data/archive/ (through rsync, ssh, etc) 2: filenames that don't match, get copied (scp) to server2:/data/ server1 and server2 have ssh, scp, rsync access between eachother. Is there any option in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare field and get the missing in Linux shell.

I have a log file A.txt 2012/11/13 20:06:11 |t112|Locations 12, 13, 14, 15|NET12/full_ddr3_2X_FV_4BD_1.qt|norway|0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15|norway22 2012/11/14 14:23:19 |t112|Locations 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabercats
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you compare two folders and copy the difference to a third folder in a remote server?

How do you compare one local folder and a remote folder and copy the difference to a third folder in a remote folder.e.g. Folder A -- Is in a remote server and it has the following files TEST1.OUT TEST2.OUT TEST3.OUT Folder B --Is in a local server and it has the following files ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cumeh1624
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to compare files in 2 folders and delete the large file

Hello, my first thread here. I've been searching and fiddling around for about a week and I cannot find a solution.:confused: I have been converting all of my home videos to HEVC and sometimes the files end up smaller and sometimes they don't. I am currently comparing all the video files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Josh52180
5 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)