Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping text block by block by using for loop Post 302704995 by anushree.a on Monday 24th of September 2012 05:30:19 AM
Old 09-24-2012
Hi Pamu, once i pressed "Enter" key it returned to $ prompt without giving any output on screen.

Hi Rudic, the solution that you have given is working fine but :-( I have more than a million records ka file to process. So its difficult to follow your suggestion. Any better way of doing it.

Please help
Anu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting text block in file

Need to delete a text block inside a file, that is marked with a start and an end pattern. Eg do not delete not delete <tag1> delete everything here here and here and here... <tag2> do not delete do not delete.... Believe sed is able to do this job but don't get it working. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andre123
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert text after a block of text?

Input: fstab is a configuration file that contains information of all the partitions and storage devices in your computer. The file is located under /etc, so the full path to this file is /etc/fstab. The >>>>> characters would be replaced by some texts. For example if i run a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a block of text??

Hello all, I have a large output file from which I would like to extract a single block of text. An example block of text is shown below: ***** EQUILIBRIUM GEOMETRY LOCATED ***** COORDINATES OF ALL ATOMS ARE (ANGS) ATOM CHARGE X Y Z ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcozd
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deciding whether to get a buffer cache block or inode block

I was reading a book on UNIX internals "The design of the UNIX Operating system." There are two memory structures that are confusing me: 1) Buffer cache 2) Inode cache My questions are 1) Does a process get both buffer cache and Indoe cache allocated when it opens/creates a file? 2) if no,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting Block of Text from a File

Hi I am looking for the way to delete the block of data for example original file line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 input file line2 line3 original file should contain line1 line4 line5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Move a block of lines to file if string found in the block.

I have a "main" file which has blocks of data for each user defined by tags BEGIN and END. BEGIN ID_NUM:24879 USER:abc123 HOW:47M CMD1:xyz1 CMD2:arp2 STATE:active PROCESS:id60 END BEGIN ID_NUM:24880 USER:def123 HOW:4M CMD1:xyz1 CMD2:xyz2 STATE:running PROCESS:id64 END (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep_me
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a block of lines from a file, if that block does not contain two patterns using sed

I want to process a file block by block using sed, and if that block does not contain two patterns, then that complete block has to be printed. See below for the example data. ................................server 1............................... running process 1 running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a block of text

Hello all, I am working on a script which should parse a large file called input.txt which contains table definitions, index definitions and comments like these ones: ------------------------------------------------ -- DDL Statements for table "CMWSYS"."CMWD_TEC_SUIVI_TRT"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiki_riki_miki
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a block of code at the end of a specific block

I need to search for a block with the starting pattern say "tabId": "table_1", and ending pattern say "]" and then add a few lines before "]" "block1":"block_111" "tabId": "table_1", "title":"My title" ..... .... }] how do I achieve it using awk and sed. Thanks, Lakshmi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lakshmikumari
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Awk: Performing "for" loop within text block with two files

I am hoping to pull multiple strings from one file and use them to search within a block of text within another file. File 1PS001,001 HLK PS002,004 MWQ PS004,002 RXM PS004,006 DBX PS004,006 SBR PS005,007 ML PS005,009 DBR PS005,011 MR PS005,012 SBR PS006,003 RXM PS006,003 >SJ PS006,010... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
11 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)