Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Send job to Background after input redirection Post 302704407 by grep_me on Friday 21st of September 2012 02:21:47 PM
Old 09-21-2012
Quote:
Will it run to completion while still waiting for input?
@Jim. No, it wont run since it exits if no input is provided within 5 secs.
And thanks for the "at" command. But, is the placement of "&" correct in your command/script?

@Alister. Thanks. I didn't know that & terminates a command.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

I try to run a script as background job. script: #!/usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/date +20%y-%m-%d > ~/datsql.txt If I start it I got this output: tac> ./datermitteln& 293 + Stopped (SIGTTOU) ./datermitteln& I insert the following line inside my script, but without any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joerg
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background job

Hiya, Recently I've run a few scripts in the foreground, but have realised later they should of been better nohup'd and placed in the background. I understand how to change a foreground job into a background one, but how would put the job into the nohup state? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdbooth
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

background job

on gnome i open a terminal and run wget http://soommmething & in the background. because wget shows me downloading progress percentage and download speed continuously, I exit the gnome-terminal after a while i want to see the download percentage but dont know how. my ps -u myname shows that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babayeve
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Send Foreground job to background redirecting output

I have many CPU intensive processes running and sometimes I run them in the foreground so that I can see what the output is. I want to send that foreground process to the background, but also have it direct the output to a logfile. I know to send something to the bg I do Ctrl-z on the FG... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhullbuzz
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Job

Hello Everyody, Having a doubt. sort file1 & when we sent a job to the background it returns Job Number PID again if we want to ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knroy10
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When do I use input redirection?

Can someone please explain when input redirection is necessary? For example, "cat filename" and "cat< filename" produce the same result. I was told that if I need to bunzip a file that I should type "bunzip2<filename.bz2." However, if I omit the "<" I still get the same result. Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Several exec on find send all the output to the last redirection

Example script: find mydir -type f -exec echo {}>aaa \; -exec echo {}>bbb \;The two paths go the the bbb file, while there should be one of them on each file. How should I do it to get it working? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tribe
2 Replies
cvcredir(7D)							      Devices							      cvcredir(7D)

NAME
cvcredir - virtual console redirection driver DESCRIPTION
The cvcredir virtual console redirection driver is a STREAMS-based pseudo driver that supports the network console provided on some plat- forms. The cvcredir driver interfaces with the virtual console driver cvc(7D), and the virtual console daemon, cvcd(1M). The cvcredir driver receives console output from cvc and passes it to cvcd. It receives console input from cvcd and passes it to cvc. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |Sun Enterprise 10000 | | |servers, Sun Fire 15K | | |servers | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcvc.u | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cvcd(1M), attributes(5), console(7D), cvc(7D) Sun Enterprise 10000 SSP Reference Manual Sun System Management Services (SMS) Reference Manual SunOS 5.10 15 Sep 2000 cvcredir(7D)