Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Books for person who want to be Linux/Unix administrator Post 302703629 by Skrynesaver on Thursday 20th of September 2012 05:44:15 AM
Old 09-20-2012
While ability to read manuals is essential, experience of what setting is responsible for what particular form of flaky behaviour you are witnessing is also vital. (Sendmail is a "special" case as it requires "experience" to configure).

For a junior position a good knowledge of $DAEMON is probably little more than its existence, default ports, configuration files and their format and the resources you'd expect it to use under a known load (eg. is 2G memory use reasonable for the service while netstat shows 200 open connections to it on $PORT or should we be looking at that?)

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix/linux books

hey, i am a pretty good linux/unix user but i would like to discover the full capabilities of linux/unix. i have "unix unleashed , by sams" any other books/websites reccomendations. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hamza11050
2 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix certified person locator

I need to locate a specific person who is certified in Unix. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tlwscope
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

im very new to unix/linux can someone tell me the best books to read...

im very new to unix/linux operating system and having a hard time understanding the command ( grep, ls, echo and variables) is there any book that is simple to understand... after taking this unix/linux operating system i need to take unix operating system..can someone help me please!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 2071fox
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Roles & Responsibilities of a Linux/Unix administrator

Hi All, At present i have good knowledge and experience in unix/ linux shell scripting. I believe unix shell scripting with administration will be a hot skill set, so I would like to become a Unix/Linux system admin. What are the key skills i have to learn to become a successful administrator.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path to Linux / Unix Systems Administrator

Hello! I have seen similar questions asked about how to become a system administrator. Most would say experience is more important than just getting a certificate and even a degree. However, I haven't found a good information how to build experience from a newbie to entry-level systems... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sideburn
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all, I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question... I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kalignas
1 Replies
NSS(5)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							    NSS(5)

NAME
nss - Name Service Switch configuration file DESCRIPTION
Each call to a function which retrieves data from a system database like the password or group database is handled by the Name Service Switch implementation in the GNU C library. The various services provided are implemented by independent modules, each of which naturally varies widely from the other. The default implementations coming with the GNU C library are by default conservative and do not use unsafe data. This might be very costly in some situations, especially when the databases are large. Some modules allow the system administrator to request taking short- cuts if these are known to be safe. It is then the system administrator's responsibility to ensure the assumption is correct. There are other modules where the implementation changed over time. If an implementation used to sacrifice speed for memory consumption, it might create problems if the preference is switched. The /etc/default/nss file contains a number of variable assignments. Each variable controls the behavior of one or more NSS modules. White spaces are ignored. Lines beginning with '#' are treated as comments. The variables currently recognized are: NETID_AUTHORITATIVE = TRUE|FALSE If set to TRUE, the NIS backend for the initgroups(3) function will accept the information from the netid.byname NIS map as authori- tative. This can speed up the function significantly if the group.byname map is large. The content of the netid.byname map is used as is. The system administrator has to make sure it is correctly generated. SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE = TRUE|FALSE If set to TRUE, the NIS backend for the getservbyname(3) and getservbyname_r(3) functions will assume that the services.byservice- name NIS map exists and is authoritative, particularly that it contains both keys with /proto and without /proto for both primary service names and service aliases. The system administrator has to make sure it is correctly generated. SETENT_BATCH_READ = TRUE|FALSE If set to TRUE, the NIS backend for the setpwent(3) and setgrent(3) functions will read the entire database at once and then hand out the requests one by one from memory with every corresponding getpwent(3) or getgrent(3) call respectively. Otherwise, each get- pwent(3) or getgrent(3) call might result in a network communication with the server to get the next entry. FILES
/etc/default/nss EXAMPLE
The default configuration corresponds to the following configuration file: NETID_AUTHORITATIVE=FALSE SERVICES_AUTHORITATIVE=FALSE SETENT_BATCH_READ=FALSE SEE ALSO
nsswitch.conf COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2013-02-13 NSS(5)