Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove tab space only in the column of a specific row Post 302703387 by redse171 on Wednesday 19th of September 2012 04:45:25 PM
Old 09-19-2012
Hi,

Can you please explain to me your code? i dont really familiar with sed. i tried your code couple of times but i got infinite loop in my shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a text from a specific row into a specific column using SED or AWK

Hi, I am having trouble converting a text file. I have been working for this whole day now, still i couldn't make it. Here is how the text file looks: _______________________________________________________ DEVICE STATUS INFORMATION FOR LOCATION 1: OPER STATES: Disabled E:Enabled ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Issemael
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to display column value in a row with space as delimeter

Hi I need to write a small script to kill the process id of particular job in one shot , Example > ps PID TTY TIME COMMAND 16280 pts/70 0:00 sh 16278 pts/70 0:00 rlogind 16197 pts/70 0:00 ps 1234 pts/70 0:00 runflow 2341 pts/70 0:00 runflow 12673 pts/70 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mani_isha
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space and new line from a file using sed?

i am using the default sed package that comes with solaris. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a row with a specific value at a certain column

Hi, I want to delete rows that have 0 at column 4. The file looks like this: chr01 13 61 2 chr01 65 153 0 chr01 157 309 1 chr01 313 309 0 chr01 317 469 1 chr01 473 557 0 I want to delete all rows with a 0 at column 4 chr01 13 61 2 chr01 157 309 1 chr01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - remove row if specific field is empty/blank

I have this text.filecharles darwin sam delight george washington johnson culper darwin sam delight micheal jackson penny lite and would like to remove the row, if the first field is blank. so the result would be: result.filecharles darwin sam ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles33
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: convert column to row in a specific way

Hi all! I have this kind of output: a1|b1|c1|d1|e1 a2|b2|c2 a3|b3|c3|d3 I would like to transpose columns d and e (when they exist) in column c, and under the row where they come from. Then copying the beginning of the row. In order to obtain: a1|b1|c1 a1|b1|d1 a1|b1|e1 a2|b2|c2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Single Column into Multiple rows, but with strings to specific tab column

Dear fellows, I need your help. I'm trying to write a script to convert a single column into multiple rows. But it need to recognize the beginning of the string and set it to its specific Column number. Each Line (loop) begins with digit (RANGE). At this moment it's kind of working, but it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AK47
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove alphabets/special characters/space in the 5th field of a tab delimited file?

Thank you for 4 looking this post. We have a tab delimited file where we are facing problem in a lot of funny character. I have tried using awk but failed that is not working. In the 5th field ID which is supposed to be a integer only of that file, we are getting corrupted data as below. I... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srithar
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove tab space if any in a variable?

I have a variable sumOfJEOutputFile which is the output file of an SQL command which contains the output of that SQL. The output looks like below: ----------- 58 I am using following code to manipulate the output: (sed 1,2d $sumOfJEOutputFile > $newTemp1 | sed '$d' $newTemp1)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to change a specific column and in a specific row

I am trying to change the number in bold to 2400 01,000300032,193631306,190619,0640,1,80,,2/ 02,193631306,000300032,1,190618,0640,CAD,2/ I'm not sure if sed or awk is the answer. I was going to use sed and do a character count up to that point, but that column directly before 0640 might... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: juggernautjoee
8 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)