Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line Post 302700991 by oly_r on Friday 14th of September 2012 01:59:47 PM
Old 09-14-2012
rdrtx1:
Uhm, it looks like you just changed which set of quotes were passed to the shell, i don't see anything else. Didn't make any difference though.

Corona688:
Wouldn't the ${CFLAGS} just be a different variable NAME, or is ${CFLAGS} actually handled differently.

Last edited by oly_r; 09-14-2012 at 03:09 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script works on command line, not in cron job

Hey there, I'm a total newbie unix guy here and just picking this stuff up. Have a very small script I put together that works fine from the command line but not once I put it in a cron job. Searched and found this thread and am wondering it it has something to do with setting variables, though the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackTheTripper
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job fails, but works fine from command line

I have a very basic script that essentially sends a log file, via FTP, to a backup server. My cron entry to run this every night is: 55 23 * * * /usr/bin/archive_logs The script runs perfectly when executed manually, and actually worked via cron for about three weeks. However, it mysteriously... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdunavent
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zgrep works at command line but not in script?

Hi all- I'm trying to search through some .gz log files to verify certain feeds have passed through our app. I have a small script that I wrote in hopes that I could automate the checking but haven't been able to get the zgrep to work. When I copy it to the command line directly it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

This code works in the command line but not in a shl script

When I run this code from the command line works spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ ls ef* eftseq.dat spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ file_seq=$( < eftseq.dat) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script

Hey guys. Hopefully this is an easy one but having reference similar problems on the web I still can't fix it. I am doing a recursive find and replace from a script. Of course I could just run the damn thing from the command line but it's bugging me now and want to get it working. grep -rl... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthonyjstewart
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Works on command line but not in script; vncserver on solaris 10

Hi guys. My first post, so be gentle... On my Solaris 10 machine vnc server is running. I need a command to extract most recent client session number (screen). So with: Code: bash-3.2# ps -ef | grep vnc | grep Xaut root 19805 19797 0 15:41:44 ? 0:01 Xvnc :4 -inetd -once... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cp6uja
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Works on command line but not in script

OSX 10.9 I am building a script that evaluates the difference between 2 files. Here is a command that does not work transparently. Running this command in Terminal yields great results; however when I put that line in a .sh script, I get the errors shown below. Am I doing something silly? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudo
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command works on Linux but fails on Solaris.

Hi, I am looking for a generic find command that works on both Linux and Solaris. I have the below command that works fine on Linux but fails on solaris.find /web/config -type f '(' -name '*.txt' -or -name '*.xml' -name '*.pro' ')' Fails on SunOS mysolaris 5.10 Generic_150400-61 sun4v sparc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
MKDEP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  MKDEP(1)

NAME
mkdep -- construct Makefile dependency list SYNOPSIS
mkdep [-aDdopq] [-f file] [-s suffixes] -- [flags] file ... DESCRIPTION
mkdep takes a set of flags for the C compiler and a list of C source files as arguments and constructs a set of include file dependencies which are written into the file ``.depend''. An example of its use in a Makefile might be: CFLAGS= -O -I../include SRCS= file1.c file2.c depend: mkdep -- ${CFLAGS} ${SRCS} where the macro SRCS is the list of C source files and the macro CFLAGS is the list of flags for the C compiler. The options are as follows: -a Append to the output file, so that multiple mkdep's may be run from a single Makefile. -D Post process (as -d) but read the list of filenames from stdin. -d Post process and merge previously created (for example by ``cc -MD x.c'') depend files into a single file. -f Write the include file dependencies to file, instead of the default ``.depend''. -o Add an additional .OPTIONAL line for each dependent file. -p Cause mkdep to produce dependencies of the form: program: program.c so that subsequent makes will produce program directly from its C module rather than using an intermediate .o module. This is useful for programs whose source is contained in a single module. -p is equivalent to specifying a null suffix with -s. -q Do not print a warning for inaccessible files when -d is given. -s Expand each target filename to a list, replacing the '.o' suffix with each element of suffixes. The list of suffixes may be space or comma separated. FILES
.depend File containing list of dependencies. SEE ALSO
cc(1), cpp(1), make(1) HISTORY
The mkdep command appeared in 4.3BSD-Tahoe. BUGS
Some characters special to make(1), most notably the comment character, are not escaped correctly if they appear in file names. This can lead to unparseable output or silently cause dependencies to be lost. BSD
October 15, 2010 BSD