Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Is shell's next line character '\' the cause of this issue ? Post 302700431 by vidyadhar85 on Thursday 13th of September 2012 11:23:21 AM
Old 09-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega3
what is the word for ' \ ' (which I call 'next line indicator' ) in shell scripting terminology ? I need to do some googling on how this character behaves within a shell script.
Its just instruct the shell that commands will be continued in the next line..

Hope below will explain it more clearly for you Smilie

Code:

/home/lscpvbf > cat v
echo "vi\
dya\
dhar"
da\
te
/home/lscpvbf > v
vidyadhar
Thu 13 Sep 16:21:45 2012

This User Gave Thanks to vidyadhar85 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using shell to get the last character in a line

Good day ladies and gents, I'm trying to write shell code that can give ignore everything else in a line bar the last character but not having much luck. Any ideas? I have been looking at cut and sed but not making any progress. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Plow
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: moving end of line character

Hello. I have a file (old.txt) that I need to copy into another file (new.txt). Each line on old.txt ends with CR/LF but the position of CR/LF varies from one record to another. I need to copy each line of record to new.txt and move CR/LF in pos 165. Can I use awk to achieve this? How?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with New Line character

Hi, I am reading data from file and storing it in a multiline variable. Every line is seperated with "\n" character. globalstrval="${globalstrval}""${line}""\n" If the value of globalstrval is like: 1234 ABCD EFGH WXYZ .... If I do, YLvar=`echo $globalstrval | grep "ABC"` then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gupt_ash
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete new line character ( - ) , korn shell

Hi guys , i need help so bad on this issue.. Basically i have to delete the line continuation symbol of first column variable and add the truncated part of that word in next line to first line. here i written sample 3 lines but originally i have bunch of lines in that file. client1_day- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrismorgan
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk new line issue, saying string can't contain new line character

Hi , I am doing some enhancements in an existing shell script. There it used the awk command in a function as below : float_expr() { IFS=" " command eval 'awk " BEGIN { result = $* print result exit(result == 0) }"' } It calls the function float_expr to evaluate two values ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mady135
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read character by character in line in which space is also included

Hi friend, I have one file , and i want to read that file character by character. I need this script in ksh. while using read option with -n1 am getting error. while read -n1 c read has bad option And if i am using below script, then if in a line has space like this ( Pallvi mahajan)... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallvi_mahajan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql multi line comment /* shell interpretation issue

Greetings Experts, I do have some basic knowledge of Unix. The task I am trying to do through shell script is to generate the view script for all of the tables which is in YYYYMMDD format (I assume I am on Ksh). I have certain tables that ends in YYYYMMDD format (eg: tbl_20150630) For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)