Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers merging files and add missing rows Post 302700347 by A-V on Thursday 13th of September 2012 09:47:46 AM
Old 09-13-2012
yap, if the line exist it only prints
count/$X-$Y-$Z and not the rest of the row
I can see now that GREP -O is not correct for start
solved I guess ... it should be -w instead of -o to get the whole line Smilie

but dont know y I dont get 125 for all the files in one directory

Last edited by A-V; 09-13-2012 at 11:04 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging of rows

Hi guys, Wish you all a very Happy New Year!!!. Thanks in advance. I want to read a file and merge the rows which have '\n' in it. The rows could be > 50,000 bytes. The script should merge all the rows till the next row starts with word 'Type|'. ex.... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssachins
24 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add new rows in list of files

Hi, I Have a directory(views) and i have 100 .sql files in the same directory. I need to be add 8 rows in each file. The format 8 rows has like: grant select on file_name to User1 / grant select on file_name to User2 / grant select on file_name to User3 / grant select on file_name to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csv to xls : missing rows

A unix script generates a file "1.csv". I use the following to email this as an excel sheet. /usr/bin/uuencode /tmp/1.csv 1.csv > $PATH/attachment.txt mailx -r abc@domain.com -s "Subject" myself@domain.com < $PATH/attachment.txtI get the file as CSV in the email and everything is fine except... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish1428
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging rows with same column 1 value

I have the following space-delimited input: 1 11.785710 117.857100 1 15 150 1 20 200 1 25 250 3 2.142855 21.428550 3 25 250 22 1.071435 10.714350 The first field is the ID number, the second field is the percentage of the total points that the person has and the third column is the number... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlloyd7
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merging two text files by a column and filling in the missing values

Hi, I have to text files that I want to merge by the first column. The values in the first column pretty much match for the first part. However there are some values that are present in column 1 and not present in column 2 or vice versa. For such values I would like to substitute X for the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merging rows into new file based on rows and first column

I have 2 files, file01= 7 columns, row unknown (but few) file02= 7 columns, row unknown (but many) now I want to create an output with the first field that is shared in both of them and then subtract the results from the rest of the fields and print there e.g. file 01 James|0|50|25|10|50|30... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: A-V
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging rows using two common rows.

Hi.. My requirement is simple but unable to get that.. File 1 : 3 415 A G 4 421 G . 39 421 G A 2 421 G A,C 41 427 A . 4 427 A C 42 436 G . 3 436 G C 43 445 C . 2 445 C T 41 447 A . Output (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging rows in awk

Hello, I have a data format as follows: Ind1 0 1 2 Ind1 0 2 1 Ind2 1 1 0 Ind2 2 2 0 I want to use AWK to have this output: Ind1 00 12 21 Ind2 12 12 00 That is to merge each two rows with the same row names. Thank you very much in advance for your help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Homa
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging rows after matching a pattern

Hi All, I have the below file where I want the lines to merged based on a pattern. AFTER CMMILAOJ CMMILAAJ AFTER CMDROPEJ CMMIMVIJ CMMIRNTJ CMMIRNRJ CMMIRNWJ CMMIRNAJ CMMIRNDJ AFTER CMMIRNTJ CMMIRNRJ CMMIRNWJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merging rows based on same ID in First column.

Hellow, I have a tab-delimited file with 3 columns : BINPACKER.13259.1.p2 SSF48239 BINPACKER.13259.1.p2 PF13243 BINPACKER.13259.1.p2 G3DSA:1.50.10.20 BINPACKER.13259.2.p2 SSF48239 BINPACKER.13259.2.p2 PF13243 BINPACKER.13259.2.p2 G3DSA:1.50.10.20... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjaliANJALI
7 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, g - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] g [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(7) with the addition of a newline character as an alternative (substitute for |) with lowest precedence. Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -e The following argument is taken as a pattern. This option makes it easy to specify patterns that might confuse argument parsing, such as -n. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. -f The pattern argument is the name of a file containing regular expressions one per line. -b Don't buffer the output: write each output line as soon as it is discovered. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. An expression starting with '*' will treat the rest of the expression as literal characters. G invokes grep with -n and forces tagging of output lines by file name. If no files are listed, it searches all files matching *.C *.b *.c *.h *.m *.cc *.java *.cgi *.pl *.py *.tex *.ms SOURCE
/src/cmd/grep /bin/g SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(7) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)