Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: du and dfspace reporting
Operating Systems SCO du and dfspace reporting Post 302699123 by dextergenious on Tuesday 11th of September 2012 07:07:06 AM
Old 09-11-2012
du and dfspace reporting

Hi,

I am using SCO UNIX version 6.0.0 release 5. I am using du and df space to see the used space in the / partition. I am using du -k option to get count in 1024 k so that it directly makes kb. In dfspace I subtracted the used mb from total size mb which should be the used space and then convert to GB. But the output from du -k (converted to gb ) donot match this output of dfspace (converted to gb)

Here it goes :

Code:
> du -k  =  38339676 (kb) = 38.3 gb

> dfspace 

788718.80 MB of 851248.99 MB available

so 851.2 gb - 788.7 gb = 61gb approx. used space in /

I suppose , these should match, but they didn't .

Any help is appreciated.

regards,

dexter

Last edited by methyl; 09-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reporting

I have to do a lot of reporting for the company that I work for and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a way to create professional looking reports. I currently use Filepro so much that I rarely see the shell. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike11
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Progress reporting

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to the board and to UNIX and I have the following question regarding a script I am building. I am trying to copy an entire directory into a new directory and I was wondering if there is any way of printing on screen a progress report, for example a percentage. It... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ypnos
9 Replies

3. SCO

regarding dfspace

hi, i m having a sco unix system...i want to store the output of dfspace command ie %free space of each partition to different variable so that i can use it for further processing.......can anybody pls help me out thx girish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: girish_shukla
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting SU and Failedlogins

Hi:- I am working on an audit report that produces a monthly summary of account activity on a particular AIX host. I am struggling with su activity and failed logins as these tend to come back with more then a month's data. Is there a easy way that these files can be rotated/cleaned out on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error reporting script

I am very new to unix/linux and am unsure how to do the following tasks within my script 1) append a log file and add a timestamped echo "Error occured" to it, if posibble to print it to file and on screen at the same time would be even better. 2) As my main script will be calling on a couple... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamwick
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Storage Monitoring/Reporting?

Hi. How do you guys, monitor/report your Storage environment? I have people (don't we all? ) that like to have monthly reports on space (raw/assigned/available), ports available/used, switches and the such. Do you use anything special? Or are you like me, a nice big Excel spreadsheet? How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space reporting

I need to accomplish the following task - I have a number of accounts for a number of applications that i deploy on a unix server. There are a number of directories for each account in /prod/apps directory. eg. For an account Application1 I have /prod/apps/Application1_1 /prod/apps/Application1_2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: niranjandighe
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Monitoring and Reporting Solutions

Hi, I am hunting for a low cost Monitoring & Reporting Tool for the SUN Environment. I have all and all SUN Environment with LDOMs, Zones. The monitoring Tool 1. Hardware failure. 2. Disk space and failure. 3. LDOMS,Zones. 4. CPU,Memory Utilization. 5. ping,URL Monitors 6. Send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: menonk
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reporting lines above a particular pattern

Below is a typical report each of the lines represent the fields in the report component1 component2 <pattern> .. .. n lines ... .. VIOL = 2 the command should display component1 component2 VIOL = 2 only if pattern field of the report is "good" component1 and... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dll_fpga
8 Replies
FS_DISKFREE(1)						       AFS Command Reference						    FS_DISKFREE(1)

NAME
fs_diskfree - Shows data about the partition housing a directory or file SYNOPSIS
fs diskfree [-path <dir/file path>+] [-human] [-help] fs df [-p <dir/file path>+] [-hu] [-he] fs di [-p <dir/file path>+] [-hu] [-he] DESCRIPTION
The fs diskfree command formats and displays information about the partition that houses the volume containing the specified directory or file, including its size and how much space is currently used. To display information about the volume itself, use the fs examine command. The fs examine and fs quota commands also display information about a volume. CAUTIONS
The partition-related statistics in this command's output do not always agree with the corresponding values in the output of the standard UNIX df command. The statistics reported by this command can be up to five minutes old, because the Cache Manager polls the File Server for partition information at that frequency. Also, on some operating systems, the df command's report of partition size includes reserved space not included in this command's calculation, and so is likely to be about 10% larger. OPTIONS
-path <dir/file path>+ Names a file or directory that resides on the partition about which to produce output. Partial pathnames are interpreted relative to the current working directory, which is also the default value if this argument is omitted. -human Print space in a "human-readable" format. Instead of always printing space in kilobytes, show disk space in kilobytes, megabytes, gigabytes, terabytes, or petabytes, as appropriate. -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output reports the following information about the volume and partition that houses each file or directory: Volume Name The name of the volume. total The partition's total size. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. used The amount of space used on the partition. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. avail The amount of space available on the partition. If -human is not specified, this value is in kilobytes. %used The percentage of the partition's total space that is used (the "used" statistic divided by the "kbytes" statistic, times 100). If the %used statistic is greater than 90%, it is marked with the string "<<WARNING" at the right margin. If the volume is a read-only volume, the output includes information about only one of the partitions that houses it, generally the one on the file server machine with the lowest preference rank. To verify which machine the output is referring to, use the vos listvldb command to list the volume's locations, and the vos partinfo command to display the size of each one. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output for the partitions housing the volumes "user.smith" and "sun4x_56.bin": % fs diskfree -path /afs/abc.com/usr/smith /afs/abc.com/sun4x_56/bin Volume Name total used avail %used user.smith 4177920 3841258 336662 92% <<WARNING sun4x_56.bin 4423680 3174500 1249180 72% PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must have the "r" (read) permission on the ACL of the root directory of the volume that houses the file or directory named by the -path argument, and "l" (list) permission on the ACL of each directory that precedes it in the pathname. SEE ALSO
fs_examine(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 FS_DISKFREE(1)