Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Trouble setting up a shared folder Post 302698567 by 14952john on Monday 10th of September 2012 09:17:01 AM
Old 09-10-2012
Ahh my bad I'm on RHEL. Either way I fixed it. RudiC you had it right I didn't have the directory permissions for /home/john set. I ran
Code:
chown -R :sharedgroup /home/john
chmod g=rwx /home/john

and everything worked fine

Thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

can folder shared with NFS (/usr/)

hello i wanted to ask you i try to setting: pc server name: A pc user name: B pc user name: C server A is opensuse 11.2 with kde 4.3.5 and last kernel so i create NFS server, i think.. folder (/usr is all softwares and library) because server A can share to PC A. because all... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tunjin
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

See shared folder

Hello, I want to list all shared folder in terminal in local. I haven't found the command for, i'm on bash in mac os x. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: protocomm
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

Trouble setting up a static IP on NetGear DGN1000

I have been trying to setup a static ip, however everytime I do so my internet disconnects and won't connect untill I switch back to dynamic. My router is a NetGear DGN1000 and I'm using it wired. Could anyone help? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomigosh
0 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Trouble setting up Java classpath

Saw an error while setting up an application called i2phex: # ./run.sh java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to initialize phex.net.repres.i2p.I2PPresentationManager at phex.common.ManagerController.initializeManagers(ManagerController.java:78) at phex.Main.main(Main.java:161)After... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Israel213
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to connect the shared folder

Hello, I am using unix through cygwin application in my office machine and here i encounter a problem which i want copy certain big files from a shared folder shared folder--\\Parwvm000154\docs to my local machine c:/ I'm really honor if i clarified with the command. Regards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble Setting Up Sun Ultra 10 - Displaying Garbage

Hello there, I am new to this forum as well as to the UNIX world. Recently graduated with a degree in Computing and just started learning UNIX & bought 3 Sun Ultra 10 Servers. I was trying to set the Servers up so I can use them; the Servers don't have a VGA card. My laptop, which I would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhan2u
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble setting up flag ( getopt) for my script

do case $option in d ) CHEC=true;; # more option processing can go here \? ) echo "Unknown option: -$OPTARG" : ) echo "Missing option argument for -$OPTARG";; * ) echo "Unimplimented option: -$OPTARG";; esac done shift $(($OPTIND - 1)) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: upenmishra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with setting a variable with vastool

Hi I have this command that when put on the command line it returns the output the way I want it. /opt/quest/bin/vastool list -a groups | grep testdev_li | grep dev | awk -F"" 'NF>2{print $2}' | cut -c2- | tr '\n' '|' The output of this is ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Setting UID and GID for shared folder using NFS method in Linux system

Hi everyone, have a good day to you. I am trying to use NFS to share a folder between 2 linux systems. Let's say the server which is sharing the folder is server A and the client which need to access this shared folder is server B. In server B, i am having a Joe user which UID and GID is 500.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
1 Replies
removeuser(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     removeuser(8)

NAME
removeuser - Deletes user accounts interactively SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/removeuser DESCRIPTION
Security Note If you have enhanced security installed on your system, you should use the dxaccounts command to remove users. See the Security manual and the dxaccounts(8) reference page for more information. The removeuser command is an interactive command for deleting user accounts from your system. It also gives the option of deleting the user's home directory, files and mail. The command prompts you for specific information and informs you of its activity and error condi- tions. The removeuser command invokes /usr/sbin/userdel to delete the user account information from /etc/passwd and the hashed password database (if present). Only the superuser can execute this command. The command performs the following tasks: Asks for a login name for the user to be deleted. Enter the login name. If this entry does not exist in the /etc/passwd file, the command informs you of this and exits. If the entry does exist, the command continues. Displays the entry for the user from the /etc/passwd file and asks if this is the entry you want to delete. If the answer to this query is no, the com- mand indicates that the user was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command deletes the user's entry from the /etc/passwd file and any occurrences of the user from the /etc/group file. It then states that the user was deleted. Searches several administrative directories and files for occurrences of the user and informs you if they exist. If so, it suggests that you may want to delete these occurrences when the command is finished. If no occurrences of the user are found in these directories and files, the command indicates so. Asks if you want to delete the home directory, all subdirectories, and all mail files for the user. If the answer to this query is no, the command indicates that the user's home directory was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command continues. As a precaution, the command reminds you that you should have backed up the files for the user before removing them if you do not want to lose them. It then asks if you are sure that you want to delete the files for this user. If the answer to this query is no, the command indicates that the user's home directory was not deleted and then exits. If the answer to this query is yes, the command states that it is removing the user's home directory, its contents and the user's mail file. It then deletes these items. At this point, the command ends. NOTES
Users are advised to migrate to the /usr/sbin/userdel utility or the dxaccounts utility as this command may be removed in a future version of the operating system. EXAMPLES
Enter a login name to be removed or <Return> to exit: john This is the entry for (john) in the /etc/passwd file: john:VSh6/xbMqPDcY:5006:15:sdf:/usr/users/john: Is this the entry you want to delete (y/n)? y Working ... Entry for (john) removed. Searching relevant directories and files for (john) ... None found. Do you want to remove the home directory, all subdirectories, files, and mail for (john) (y/n)? y The files for (john) will be lost if not backed up. Are you sure you want to remove these files (y/n)? y Deleting /usr/users/john Deleting /usr/spool/mail/john FILES
Specifies the command path Group file Password file SEE ALSO
Commands: addgroup(8), adduser(8), dxaccounts(8), finger(1), mkpasswd(8), passwd(1), useradd(8), userdel(8), vipw(8) Files: group(4), passwd(4) removeuser(8)