Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Moving files..
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Moving files.. Post 302697749 by nosuchluck on Friday 7th of September 2012 10:30:30 AM
Old 09-07-2012
Moving files..

Selected directories on our system generate alerts when they exceed 60% of the disk space so I have used gzip to make the files smaller on one of the directories in question (AdminServer logs). I want to move these to another directory what is the best way to make this happen?
Thanks..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving only files...

hi.. I want to move a set of files that contain a particular string. I wished to do that with find but i am unable to do that. can anybody give me a good method? :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

moving files ??

I am using AIX Version 5.1 If I moved a file say using this command but the directory rpt did not exist would this dump the file? I went back to the directory I was moving it from and the file was gone and when I looked in the directory I moved it to of course that directory was not found.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving Files

Hi There, I am trying to move files, the file is present in this location: /iAm4Free/test/generate/txt/information.txt I need to move it to: /iAm4Free/test1/generate/txt/information.txt The only difference is the "test" is replaced with "test1". But the constraint is. The parent... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iAm4Free
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files

I wrote a script which moves files on first in first out basis. for i in `ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -10 | awk '{print $9}'` do mv $i Test/ done But donno some reason, this is not working on my Linux box. May i know the reason? Can the above script be done by using positional... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files

Hi I need to be able to move files from one central locations to different servers on our network. So i want all of our operators to place files to one area on the main storage area. From there i need a script that first checks the file is stable (finished copying) then copy to another server,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving the files in a.txt files to a different directory

HI All, I am coding a shell script which will pick all the .csv files in a particular directoryand write it in to a .txt file, this .txt file i will use as a source in datastage for processing. now after the processing is done I have to move and archive all the files in the .txt file to a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhasri_2020
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Multiple files to destination files

I am running a code like this foreach list ($tmp) mv *_${list}.txt ${chart}_${list}.txt #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a directory mv *_${list}.doc ${chart}_${list}.doc #mv: when moving multiple files, last argument must be a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding files with wc -l results = 1 then moving the files to another folder

Hi guys can you please help me with a script to find files with one row/1 line of content then move the file to another directory my script below runs but nothing happens to the files....Alternatively Ca I get a script to find the *.csv files with "wc -1" results = 1 then create a list of those... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dj Moi
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Files to VM

Hi guys, i need to test a script on my RedHat which it's mounted on a VirtualBox (oracle VM). So i need to copy a directory with subdirectories, from a remote host to my VM. I'd like to do that within cmd not with program like Filezilla or something like that. Any idea please? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newer
4 Replies

10. AIX

Moving Hidden files to normal files

I have a bunch of hidden files in a directory in AIX. I would like to move these hidden files as regular files to another directory. Say i have the following files in directory /x .test~1234~567 .report~5678~123 .find~9876~576 i would like to move them to directory /y as test~1234~567... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: umesh.narain
10 Replies
ZNEW(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   ZNEW(1)

NAME
znew - recompress .Z files to .gz files SYNOPSIS
znew [ -ftv9PK] [ name.Z ... ] DESCRIPTION
Znew recompresses files from .Z (compress) format to .gz (gzip) format. If you want to recompress a file already in gzip format, rename the file to force a .Z extension then apply znew. OPTIONS
-f Force recompression from .Z to .gz format even if a .gz file already exists. -t Tests the new files before deleting originals. -v Verbose. Display the name and percentage reduction for each file compressed. -9 Use the slowest compression method (optimal compression). -P Use pipes for the conversion to reduce disk space usage. -K Keep a .Z file when it is smaller than the .gz file; implies -t. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), zmore(1), zdiff(1), zgrep(1), zforce(1), gzexe(1), compress(1) BUGS
Znew does not maintain the time stamp with the -P option if cpmod(1) is not available and touch(1) does not support the -r option. ZNEW(1)