Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Reason/components behind high memory utilisation on linux Post 302695181 by kunwar on Saturday 1st of September 2012 10:10:12 PM
Old 09-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
Define crashed, please. What Oracle error? I think it is likely that you have heap fragmentation.
--Crashed means: Database instance was shut down. All the processes (Background and foreground) just went down.

You apparently have a lot of db's running on this box. Up through 11g, oracle will not create non-contiguous shared memory segments for the "SGA" without a nasty warning. The db in question will start but you may get memory errors later on. I would look in the oracle alert logs for these warnings. Or ask the DBA to do it.
--I am the DBA , but not a very experienced one. I checked the alert log, i dont see any memory related warnings before the crash or even now.

Heap fragmentation means: there are lots of allocated memory chunks sprinkled around, often with intervening smaller areas of free memory. While the smaller ones are perfectly usable some applications have issues with trying to use a bunch of small ones as a single large block. Oracle has this issue.
--One question. How i can confirm that there is indeed a heap fragmentation. Any commands to run or any specific logs/files to look at.

The simple solution is either more memory or move off db's to another box.

BTW: for linux showing lots of memory "in use" is completely normal. Your problem seems to be from what I see in the ipcs -m display.
--Sorry didnt understand. What part of ipcs -m you see as problematic. If it is what should have been the value for it to be fine?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

High Mem & Cpu Utilisation

Hi All, Kindly help me in optimizing the server as it displays a great amount of CPU & MEM being utilised when the mysql process executes. Below are the stats --- -------------------------------------------------------------------------- # top 15:51:57 up 23:22, 5 users, load average:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gautamatul82
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for CPU and Memory Utilisation

Hi, I want to check the CPU and Memory Utilisation in the whole machine (not for a single process). Can someone send me a ready made script which captures all information in a log every 5min?? Thanks, Ajith (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajith Praveen
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

What would cause high kernel/system utilisation

We have a VM running RedHat that seems to have very high system (kernel) utilisation compared to our physical servers running the same OS and workload that show normal system time utilisation. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azurty
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start a new process when memory/cpu utilisation falls

Hi all, I am a newbie to whole shell scripting thing. I deal with computational studies and a lot of softwares which run on linux. At times, I have to schedule my jobs after some process has started. In these case, I have to use at command to schedule my job. However, I would like to know if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnsmithgr8
0 Replies

5. IP Networking

bandwidth utilisation high after implementing firewall

hi, we have one unix server which sends multicast packets in the network, recently we have implemented firewall in between unix server and clients.After implementing firewall we found our lease line utilisation has been increased dramatically. Is this because of firewall or else...please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaysahoo
2 Replies

6. AIX

CPU and memory utilisation by one process

Hi, We need to monitor one process over time to see at which exact point it starts to consume to much memory and CPU (to correlate this with some other events). I am a newbie in AIX, so please could you tell me which command will give a snapshot of the current state of a process so that I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yallow
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Memory Utilisation of httpd process

Hi All, I have a RHEL 5.4 server which runs an Apache web server(2.2.23 compiled with prefork MPM).I want to find out the memory utilised by the web server. # ps -ylC httpd | wc -l 245 # ps -ylC httpd | more S UID PID PPID C PRI NI RSS SZ WCHAN TTY TIME CMD S ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Memory conmsumption by Java server is very high on Linux compared to Soalris

Hello All, We have a jave server running on both linux and Solaris environments. On solaris,it consumes only 600-700MB whereas it goes upto 21G in Linux. I am monitoring the memory consumption through top command. Is this high memory consumption expected in Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory Utilisation of a server

Hi, I need to find the memory utilisation of a server as mentioned below. Memory should be divided into TOTAL, UZDM, BUFFER, CACHE, AVAILABLE. Can anyone help me to get this? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu
10 Replies

10. Red Hat

Swap memory usage is high in Linux

Hi , There is one following alert . Message : cdm:Average (2 samples) swap memory usage is now 91%, which is above the warning threshold (90%) Here is my findings. Output of TOP command in Linux server. top - 14:21:44 up 6 days, 4:48, 1 user, load average: 2.55, 2.06,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
3 Replies
NBPERF(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NBPERF(1)

NAME
nbperf -- compute a perfect hash function SYNOPSIS
nbperf [-ps] [-a algorithm] [-c utilisation] [-h hash] [-i iterations] [-m map-file] [-n name] [-o output] [input] DESCRIPTION
nbperf reads a number of keys one per line from standard input or input. It computes a minimal perfect hash function and writes it to stdout or output. The default algorithm is "chm". The -m argument instructs nbperf to write the resulting key mapping to map-file. Each line gives the result of the hash function for the corresponding input key. The parameter utilisation determines the space efficiency. Supported arguments for -a: chm This results in an order preserving minimal perfect hash function. The utilisation must be at least 2, the default. The number of iterations needed grows if the utilisation is very near to 2. chm3 Similar to chm. The resulting hash function needs three instead of two table lookups when compared to chm. The utilisation must be at least 1.24, the default. This makes the output for chm3 noticable smaller than the output for chm. bpz This results in a non-order preserving minimal perfect hash function. Output size is approximately 2.79 bit per key for the default value of utilisation, 1.24. This is also the smallest supported value. Supported arguments for -h: mi_vector_hash Platform-independent version of Jenkins parallel hash. See mi_vector_hash(3). The number of iterations can be limited with -i. nbperf outputs a function matching uint32_t hash(const void * restrict, size_t) to stdout. The function expects the key length as second argument, for strings not including the terminating NUL. It is the responsibility of the call- er to pass in only valid keys or compare the resulting index to the key. The function name can be changed using -n name. If the -s flag is specified, it will be static. After each failing iteration, a dot is written to stderr. nbperf checks for duplicate keys on the first iteration that passed basic hash distribution tests. In that case, an error message is printed and the program terminates. If the -p flag is specified, the hash function is seeded in a stable way. This may take longer than the normal random seed, but ensures that the output is the same for repeated invocations as long as the input is constant. EXIT STATUS
The nbperf utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
mi_vector_hash(3) AUTHORS
Jorg Sonnenberger BSD
September 25, 2012 BSD