Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Scripts without shebang
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Scripts without shebang Post 302694359 by kraljic on Thursday 30th of August 2012 12:37:16 PM
Old 08-30-2012
Scripts without shebang

I see lot of ad-hoc shell scripts in our servers which don't have a shebang at the beginning .

Does this mean that it will run on any shell ?

Is it a good practice to create scripts (even ad-hoc ones) without shebang ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shebang

Hi, I am currently writing BASH shell scripts. I am using BASH on a Powerbook G4 running Leopard. Could somebody please explain the difference between #!/bin/bash and #!/bin/sh? I have been using the latter (#!/bin/sh), and things have been working fine. But is that the correct one to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in shebang line!!

Do we need to include the exclamatory mark in the shebang line??:confused: What if we dont include it??:eek: Actually what shebang line implies when we run a script?? shebang line--> #!/bin/ksh :p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nohup
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relacing the shebang line of a file

Can any one tell me how to replace a shebang line of a file using sed? Eg: If a file contains the following shebang line #!C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby I would like to replace it with #!/usr/local/bin/ruby The shebang line of the file can be obtained from the command cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shebang lines

*** EDIT: I found something close to my solution under an IIS 7 Module Handle.***** (Non-Homework question, simply an ease of use one) Odd question here and maybe its my newness to cgi/Perl, but is it possible to have 2 shebang lines? I write an test a ton of my homework code on my windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sennex
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Shebang!

Hi, I always thought that #!/usr/bin/ksh means that the script would be executed in korn shell i.e. when we'll execute the script with this line as the very first line then the shell spawns a korn shell (in this case as we are using #!/usr/bin/ksh ) and the script gets executed. But I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hyphen char after shebang notation

Hi, I have a trivial question to ask, I am seeing in some shell scripts the '-' (hyphen) character following the first line of shell script (i.e) the shebang notation as follows: #!/bin/sh - #! /bin/bash - what does the hyphen signify? What will happen if it is not given explicitly? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shebang

If i am not using #! in my script. By default where will be my script running? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shebang query

What does the "-f" mean in following interpreter code #!/bin/csh -f Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Necessity of shebang line

Hi , I know about the shebang line in shell scripting. Just want to know whether is there any difference in execution of the program by keeping and not keeping the shebang line. Because without shebang line also the script is working. correct me if am wrong. Any help on this will be helpful (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies
CHECKBASHISMS(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             CHECKBASHISMS(1)

NAME
checkbashisms - check for bashisms in /bin/sh scripts SYNOPSIS
checkbashisms script ... checkbashisms --help|--version DESCRIPTION
checkbashisms, based on one of the checks from the lintian system, performs basic checks on /bin/sh shell scripts for the possible presence of bashisms. It takes the names of the shell scripts on the command line, and outputs warnings if possible bashisms are detected. Note that the definition of a bashism in this context roughly equates to "a shell feature that is not required to be supported by POSIX"; this means that some issues flagged may be permitted under optional sections of POSIX, such as XSI or User Portability. In cases where POSIX and Debian Policy disagree, checkbashisms by default allows extensions permitted by Policy but may also provide options for stricter checking. OPTIONS
--help, -h Show a summary of options. --newline, -n Check for "echo -n" usage (non POSIX but required by Debian Policy 10.4.) --posix, -p Check for issues which are non POSIX but required to be supported by Debian Policy 10.4 (implies -n). --force, -f Force each script to be checked, even if it would normally not be (for instance, it has a bash or non POSIX shell shebang or appears to be a shell wrapper). --extra, -x Highlight lines which, whilst they do not contain bashisms, may be useful in determining whether a particular issue is a false posi- tive which may be ignored. For example, the use of "$BASH_ENV" may be preceded by checking whether "$BASH" is set. --version, -v Show version and copyright information. EXIT VALUES
The exit value will be 0 if no possible bashisms or other problems were detected. Otherwise it will be the sum of the following error val- ues: 1 A possible bashism was detected. 2 A file was skipped for some reason, for example, because it was unreadable or not found. The warning message will give details. SEE ALSO
lintian(1). AUTHOR
checkbashisms was originally written as a shell script by Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> and rewritten in Perl with many more features by Julian Gilbey <jdg@debian.org>. DEBIAN Debian Utilities CHECKBASHISMS(1)