Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls on a symbolic link
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ls on a symbolic link Post 302694143 by bakunin on Thursday 30th of August 2012 07:51:32 AM
Old 08-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_01
got no readlink as well Smilie-
"readlink" would be the alias/scriptname you give to his "ls ... | awk ..." line. Either turn this line into a script (filename would be in "$1") /along/your/$PATH/readlink and flag it executable or define an alias:

Code:
alias readlink='ls....'

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

1 symbolic link to 2 different places?

I was wondering is it possible todo something like following: A) Settings:- - 2 servers on the network - both can be reached via /net/SERVER1/datadir and /net/SERVER2/datadir - i'm running rsync to syncronize the data coming to server1 from whatever application B) Wanted: on other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link can i use find / path -type l (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avtalan
1 Replies

9. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

How to list all symbolic link?

how to list all symbolic link, can i use find / path -type l (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avtalan
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
link(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  link(1M)

NAME
link, unlink - link and unlink files and directories SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/link existing-file new-file /usr/xpg4/bin/link existing-file new-file /usr/sbin/unlink file DESCRIPTION
The link and unlink commands link and unlink files and directories. Only super-users can use these commands on directories. Use link to create a new file that points to an existing file. The existing-file and new-file operands specify the existing file and newly-created files. See OPERANDS. link and unlink directly invoke the link(2) and unlink(2) system calls, performing exactly what they are told to do and abandoning all error checking. This differs from the ln(1) command. See ln(1). While linked files and directories can be removed using unlink, it is safer to use rm(1) and rmdir(1) instead. See rm(1) and rmdir(1). /usr/xpg4/bin/link If the existing file being hard linked is itself a symbolic link, then the newly created file (new-file) will be a hard link to the file referenced by the symbolic link, not to the symbolic link object itself (existing-file). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: existing-file Specifies the name of the existing file to be linked. file Specifies the name of the file to be unlinked. new-file Specifies the name of newly created (linked) file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of link: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/link +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ln(1), rm(1), link(2), unlink(2), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 9 Oct 2002 link(1M)