Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Directory with same names and different inode no Post 302692893 by sahil_shine on Tuesday 28th of August 2012 07:59:48 AM
Old 08-28-2012
The problem i have is one of the directory contains all my project critical data and is also mounted as filesystem.The second directory i suspect is created via netbackup restore (I am not sure how) is occupying space under root filesytem and making it full.I want to get rid of second directory which is making root full.But when i change directory i am not sure which directory i am in cause is see same contents Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use of $ in directory names

I have a TAR (compressed) file that I uncompressed using the following command $ tar xvf uagent.tar It created a directory structure as follows <root>/arcagent/UAGENT/reloc/$UAGENT_HOME/ How do I access files under the $UAGENT_HOME? Every time I do change directory command, the OS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory names that contain spaces and other suggestions?

The script below was written to select files and convert a particular string to something other and replace that file. However, I came across some issues with filenames that contain spaces, any suggestions to get around this? Any other suggestions that may apply to this code would also be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shakey21
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Directory Inode Number Not Unique

Hi, I know that inode for each file is unique, but is it the for the directory? So far I found different directories has the same inode nubmer when you do ls -i, could some one explain why? Thanks a lot. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj302
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort directory names and use only last?

I need help writing a bash script for the windows cygwin environment. I'm not sure if bash is the optimal tool. Perhaps perl would be better? Either would work. I have directories whose names include the date they were created. The directory names are in the format of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display only Owner and directory/sub directory names under particular root

hai, I am new to Unix, I have a requirement to display owner name , directory or sub directory name, who's owner name is not equal to "oasitqtc". (here "oasitqtc" is the owner of the directory or sub directory.) i have a command (below) which will display all folders and sub folders, but i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory and extract sub directory names

I am trying to loop through folders and extract the name of the lowest level subfolder I was running the script below, it returns /bb/bin/prd/newyork /bb/bin/prd/london /bb/bin/prd/tokyo I really want newyork london tokyo I couldn't find a standard variable for the lowest level... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: personalt
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping file names, comparing them to a directory of files, and moving them into a new directory

got it figured out :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sHockz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing multiple directory names

Hi guys, I have lots of files that look like: ABC.packed.dir DEF.packed.dir GHI.packed.dir etc... I would like them to have more of the usual naming convention ABC DEF GHI etc... so I was thinking that I could: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atjurhs
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop through directory names

Some guidance is highly appreciated. I have 10 directories with names ending with 'xyz', each of them have about 30000 files. I want to loop through the contents of each directory and produce a single output per directory. So I want to have 10 output files named 'directory_name'_out. With... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies
create directory(1m)													      create directory(1m)

NAME
create directory - Creates a directory SYNOPSIS
cdscp create directory directory-name [clearinghouse clearinghouse-name] ARGUMENTS
The full name of the directory The name of the clearinghouse in which you create the directory. DESCRIPTION
The create directory command creates a directory with the name that you specify. If you do not specify a clearinghouse, CDS creates the master replica of the directory in the same clearinghouse as the new directory's parent directory. Privilege Required You must have the following permissions in order to create a directory: read and insert permission to the parent directory; write permis- sion to the clearinghouse in which the master replica of the new directory is to be stored. In addition, the server principal must have read and insert permission to the parent directory. NOTES
To ensure that all replicas are consistent, perform an immediate skulk of the parent directory after issuing this command. This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command creates a directory named /.:/sales. cdscp> create directory /.:/sales RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: delete directory(1m), list directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) create directory(1m)