Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression Post 302688635 by InduInduIndu on Sunday 19th of August 2012 09:17:35 PM
Old 08-19-2012
sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Thanks RudiC for your response.
I verified the points you have highlighted, and there is no problem with array size & initialization.Anyways, i can assign array size to another variable and use it in while condition.
I'd want you just focus on sed part of it, as it throws error there.

Hope you got me right!

Regards,
Indu

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with sed

Hi, I'm trying following:echo "test line XA24433 test" | sed 's/.*X\(.*\)/X\1/' XA24433 test While I want the output as: XA24433 I want to grab the words starting with letter X till the next space, this word can be anywhere in the line. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression with SED

Hi! I'm trying to write a regexp but I have no luck... I have a string like this: param1=sometext&param2=hello&param3=bye Also, the string can be simply: param2=hello I want to return the value of param2: "hello". How can I do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GagleKas
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression (sed)

Hi I need to get text that are within "" For example File: asdasd "test test2" sadasds asdda asdasd "demo demo2" Output: test test2 demo demo2 Any help is good Thank you (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blito_loco
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression help

please consider this: echo "11111*X*005010X279~ST*270*1111111*005010X279~BHT*0011*11" | sed 's/.*\(005010X(\d)(\d)(\d)*\).*$/\1/'i'm searching for first occurrence of 005010X while leaving rest of characters out. :confused: any tips? thnx in advance guys. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: grep01
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expression In Sed

Hi , I am learing sed echo abc 123 def 456 | sed 's|\(*\) \(*\)|\1|' is returning abc def 456 i was hoping abc def "\1" should only print the occurence of the first pattern but according to my understanding it is just removing the first occurence of the second pattern... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_hammer
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unterminated `s' command

I have read many threads, but I still didn't find the right answer. May be i didn't find the right thread, though are so many threads for the same question. Basically the situation is - find date in a file and replace it with another date. (its not homework, its part of lot of a big processing,... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: avinthm
10 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed regular expression

Hi , I need to remove pipe character from a |^ delimeted file. Something like |^tran|sformers||^|revenge |of fallen|^ to |^transformers|^revenge of fallen|^... Cold anybody please help to build the regular expression using sed . many thanks. Please use code tags next time for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kokjek
1 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)						  Linux Audit API					     AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_regex - use regular expression search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_regex(auparse_state_t *au, const char *expr); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_regex adds one search condition based on a regular expression to the current audit search expression. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. The regular expression follows the posix extended regular expression conventions, and is matched against the full record (without interpreting field values). If an existing search expression E is already defined, this function replaces it by (E && this_regexp). RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_item(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), regcomp(3). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Sept 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)