Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes Post 302687563 by DeCoTwc on Thursday 16th of August 2012 09:00:09 PM
Old 08-16-2012
Perfect. That works perfectly (in your original post you didn't say the -- required the - infront of the pid as well) . I updated the killScript function to:

Code:
killScript ()
{
  /usr/bin/find /var/run -name "${pidPrefix}.*.pid" |while read pidFile;do
    if [[  "${pidFile}" != "/var/run/${pidPrefix}.${$}.pid" ]];then
      /bin/kill -- -$(/bin/cat ${pidFile})
      /bin/rm ${pidFile}
    fi
  done
}

and everything runs as I would expect it to. (I also made checking stricter just to be safe)

Thanks for bearing with me.

Last edited by DeCoTwc; 08-16-2012 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Tweaked function

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to limit the number of running instances of a script?

I would like to allow only one instance of a script to run at any moment. I've tried the following solution to count the instances but the result is always the number of running instances plus one and I can't find the problem ps -ef | grep $0 | sed '/^$/ d' | sed '/grep/ d' | wc -l Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that checks for previous instances running

Hello, I'm trying to write a script that checks for previous instances of the same script which may still be running (this script is scheduled to run every 30 minutes). I want to somehow use the pid from each instance to make sure the previous one isn't running before continuing with my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leaving Program running but killing the script

Sorry for all the threads. I am almost done. I ahve a bash script that is launching a diags program then copying the .html over my client. then it does the following line /opt/firefox/firefox report.html it launches it fines but the program waits for me to close the window or kill the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

36 Child Processes not running as desired

I have a parent process which will start 36 child process. This I achieved by using the 'for loop'. In Parent.sh:- ./Child.sh <arg1> <arg2> ... & If I execute "ps -ef | grep Child.sh", I can see 72 child processes running at the background. I mean I can see the duplicate of each process. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script, child kills parent

Hello everyone, I'm trying to write a script, i would like to say the child kills the parent, how would i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy21
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script counting instances of software running on a machine

Hello to all @here, as Iīm new to this forum, I will try to start in a easy way for my first post. Iīm not beginner in scripting, but also not a proffessional. So please keep easy, if I donīt understand your explanation at once ;) I donīt mean it in a bad way! Here is the Problem: There were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muogli
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies
KILLALL5(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       KILLALL5(8)

NAME
killall5 -- send a signal to all processes. SYNOPSIS
killall5 -signalnumber [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] DESCRIPTION
killall5 is the SystemV killall command. It sends a signal to all processes except kernel threads and the processes in its own session, so it won't kill the shell that is running the script it was called from. Its primary (only) use is in the rc scripts found in the /etc/init.d directory. OPTIONS
-o omitpid Tells killall5 to omit processes with that process id. NOTES
killall5 can also be invoked as pidof, which is simply a (symbolic) link to the killall5 program. EXIT STATUS
The program return zero if it killed processes. It return 2 if no process were killed, and 1 if it was unable to find any processes (/proc/ is missing). SEE ALSO
halt(8), reboot(8), pidof(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 04 Nov 2003 KILLALL5(8)