Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange output from find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange output from find Post 302685407 by alister on Sunday 12th of August 2012 10:40:24 PM
Old 08-12-2012
Chubler_XL is correct. Here's the relevant bit from the POSIX documentation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by POSIX

If no expression is present, -print shall be used as the expression. Otherwise, if the given expression does not contain any of the primaries -exec, -ok, or -print, the given expression shall be effectively replaced by:

( given_expression ) -print
Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange output from grep

Hi, I am getting different output for grep depending which directory I am in. The following is a transcript of my session, I am using egrep but have also used grep -E. The directory names have been changed for security: $pwd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 $echo 000000 |egrep -v $echo $? 1 $cd ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange output

I had a similar script in solaris and it had no problem. I wrote this one in freeBSD and it gave me strange output. Can anyone please tell me why? thanks a lot #!/bin/sh #This is a shell script that checks file system capacity mounted on /home directory #If file system is over 90% capacity,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k2k
1 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 10 strange df output

hi, in solaris 10 SUN SPARC V245 server the following df -h output is showing . can i reuse the following disk space by deleting them /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 20G 5.2G 14G 27% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani.madiraju
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Getting strange output of who -r command

Hi At OK> prompt, I have run the boot -s command After system is coming on to multiuser state, when I run the " who -r" command, I get the following message # who -r run-level Oct 17 03:48 last= Means I dont see "S" after run-level keyword. Could any one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Strange sar output

I was reviewing yesterday's sar file and came across this strange output! What in the world? Any reason why there's output like that? SunOS unixbox 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 Solaris 00:00:58 device %busy avque r+w/s blks/s avwait avserv 11:20:01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Strange df output on solaris 9

Hi all, After deleting some large log files on solaris 9 machine I can see strange df output shows below /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 45G 16384E 50G 39879076698694% / I thought it will back to normal once I restart it but did not. I have seen in sunsolve article 6362734 that "Solaris 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar333
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl:Very strange output!!

Hi, I using tcl script to perform certain conditions. Part of the results should have average . I couldn't figure out what 's the cause as the result of the average is Zero. Example of the case???? #!/usr/bin/tclsh set counter 500 set total 1000 puts "Total num: $total \n" puts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

strange output with du

Can someone please explain why I get two outputs with the du command? The first one gave me one. I also didn't ask for the second directory so why did it give that directory? $ du -h "/media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist" 775M /media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist $ du -h "/media/Part... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange /etc/passwd output

Can someone please explain this to me? auser:x:500:500:Anne User:/home/auser:/bin/sh buser:x:501:501:Bob User:/home/buser:/bin/bash I'm used to it looking like this. What is the difference between the first name and second name? In the first case I had to use the first name to change my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo's strange output

Hi, Kindly help me to understand the behavior or logic of the below shell command $ echo $!# echo $echo $ $ $ echo !$# echo $# 0 I am using GNU bash, version 3.2.25(1)-release (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)