Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo Post 302681579 by RudiC on Friday 3rd of August 2012 03:21:43 PM
Old 08-03-2012
Looks like your "date" variable is unset. Are you running another shell or did you logout/login in between? Try to execute the date command like
Code:
echo "Today is " $(date)

Congratulation @bartus11 - you were first!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo

what is the meaning of this echo $description | wc -m` -ne "1" (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: debasis.mishra
0 Replies

2. Solaris

echo help...

Hi anyone know... ID1=1234 ID2=2345 ID3=3456 count=1 while do echo $(ID$count) --> i would like the out put to be 1234 count=$((count + 1)) done exit 0 if i would like to echo ID1 then it will should 1234567. how should i echo like this would not works -> echo $(ID$count) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerpeh
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo

Is there a way to get echo to make newlines without using any type of quotes? I've done a lot of searches and went into my Linux book to no avail. I'm trying to write five separate lines to a file. I can get echo to accept all five lines like this echo \ \this is line 1\ \this is line 2\ >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trekker182
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo !.

can someone tell me what does this code do? echo !. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryandegreat25
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to correctly use an echo inside an echo?

Bit of a weird one i suppose, i want to use an echo inside an echo... For example... i have a script that i want to use to take users input and create another script. Inside this script it creates it also needs to use echos... echo "echo "hello"" >$file echo "echo "goodbye"" >$file ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with echo

Hi Guys, I need to print a value in the same line , But when we use the echo instead the loops (while), the value goes to the next line.. Can you help me in this.. Thanks For your help in advance. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between echo `ls -l` and echo "`ls -l`" ?

Hi guys, Been messing around with shell programming for a couple of days and I found something that was pretty odd in the behavior of the echo command. Below is an example-: When I type the following in my /home directory from my lxterminal in Debian-: echo "`ls -l`" I get the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies
NWFSTIME(1)							     nwfstime							       NWFSTIME(1)

NAME
nwfstime - Display / Set a NetWare server's date and time SYNOPSIS
nwfstime [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] [ -s ] DESCRIPTION
nwfstime displays a NetWare server's date and time. You can also set a NetWare server's date and time from the local time. OPTIONS
-h With -h nwfstime prints a little help text. -S server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. To set the server's time, you need supervisor privileges. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwfstime prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. As you need supervisor privileges for setting the date and time, this option is probably not used very often. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. -s With -s, nwfstime sets the file server's date and time according to the local date and time. nwfstime 12/10/1996 NWFSTIME(1)