Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to capture script return code? Post 302679533 by nimo on Tuesday 31st of July 2012 07:31:10 AM
Old 07-31-2012
How to capture script return code?

Hi
I am executing database backup via shell script (Korn). The backup log is long, but I would like to capture only the last line so I can send an email if it fails

Example of failed backup (only last 3 lines)

Code:
BR0056I End of database backup: bejbofoh.aff 2012-07-26 07.31.21
BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2010-12-26 07.31.21
BR0054I BRBACKUP terminated with errors

Example of successful backup (only last 3 lines)

Code:
BR0056I End of database backup: bejckxdr.anf 2012-07-30 22.32.56
BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2008-01-30 22.32.56
BR0052I BRBACKUP completed successfully

How do I do that?

Last edited by Scott; 07-31-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture carriage return.

I try to test the carriage return in a variable. $ LENGTH=`expr $VARIABLE : ".*"` will return the length of the variable. But this doesn't work if $VARIABLE has zero length. Any help will be well appreciated. Thanks in advance. Giovanni (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio123bg
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capture Oracle return code in shell script

I am using the following code in my shell script list=`sqlplus -s $user/$pwd@$dbms<<EOF WHENEVER SQLERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE set pagesize 0 feedback off verify off heading off echo off select * from control_tbl where src_nm=$3 and extrct_nm=$4; exit SQL.SQLCODE; EOF` ERROR=$?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vikas Sood
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to capture the return value in master script?

Hi, Here is my program that is returning a DATE: #! /usr/bin/ksh db=tcore_dev1 bteq <<end .logon $password_core .export report file=$BTEQ_OUTPUT_FILE_$$ select cast(add_months(cast(substr(cast(max(closedate) as varchar(10)),1,8)||'01' as Date),1)-1 as timestamp(0)) from $db.repo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahek_bedi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture ftp return code..PLZ HELP

Hi all, i have written a code to ftp a file from one server to other.The ftp is happeneing successfully,but i am not able to capture the return code,to check if ftp has failed. plz help me to find out the return code....this is urgent below is the code i have written... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anju
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID Capture and Return Codes

I have a process that copies files from a main storage server to main other servers. We are attempting to speed up the processing and have thought that the best method would be to use concurrent file copying. What was suggested is that we change from using a simple RCP and waiting for it to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dorrellg
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture C program return values in Kshell

I have a K shell script (ksh) that needs to return an email address. A C program was written (prog1) to now access the email address off of an oracle table. The call to the program in the ksh is prog1 -p parm1 Based on Parm1 the program will read an oracle table and retrieve the email... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing files and capture return code

Hi, I would like to compare 2 files, and have a return code write to a file. regardless of the files contents are the same the code should be writing to a file (if both files contents are same then return code 0). A simple example will be great :) Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khchong
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash set -vx /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/PalacefilesWait /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/prodEnvSetup 03212013 & if then echo "fatal error: Palace/HardRock failed!!!!" 1>&2 echo "Palace Failed" | mail -s "Link Failed at Palace/HardRock" -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture 3 digit return code of ftp??

is it possible to capture the 3 digit return code of ftp commands in a local variable inside a shell script? Code: ftp remoteserver << EOFTP quote USER uid quote PASS pass prompt cd remote_directory mput file.txt bye EOFTP in the above script, if cd ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies
BACKUP_HELP(8)						       AFS Command Reference						    BACKUP_HELP(8)

NAME
       backup_help - Displays help for backup commands

SYNOPSIS
       backup help [-topic <help string>+] [-admin] [-help]

backup h [-t <help string>+] [-a] [-h]

DESCRIPTION
       The backup help command displays the complete online help entry (short description and syntax statement) for each operation code specified
       by the -topic argument. If the -topic argument is omitted, the output includes the first line (name and short description) of the online
       help entry for every backup command.

To list every backup command whose name or short description includes a specified keyword, use the backup apropos command.

OPTIONS
       -topic <help string>+
	   Indicates each command for which to display the complete online help entry. Omit the backup part of the command name, providing only
	   the operation code (for example, specify dump, not backup dump). If this argument is omitted, the output briefly describes every backup
	   command.

-help
	   Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored.

OUTPUT
       The online help entry for each backup command consists of the following two or three lines:

o   The first line names the command and briefly describes its function.

o   The second line lists aliases for the command, if any.

o   The final line, which begins with the string "Usage", lists the command's options in the prescribed order. Online help entries use the
	   same symbols (for example, brackets) as the reference pages in this document.

EXAMPLES
       The following example displays the online help entry for the backup dump command:

% backup help dump
	  backup dump: start dump
	  Usage: backup dump -volumeset <volume set name> -dump <dump level name>
	  [-portoffset <TC port offset>]  [-at <Date/time to start dump>+]
	  [-append]  [-n]  [-file <load file>]	[-help]

PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
       None

SEE ALSO
       backup(8), backup_apropos(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							    BACKUP_HELP(8)