Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy and paste data
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy and paste data Post 302679199 by neutronscott on Monday 30th of July 2012 11:49:34 AM
Old 07-30-2012
try:
Code:
awk '{n=0+substr($1,8)} n==8 { for(i=2;i<=NF;i++) copy[i]=$i } n>=1895 && n<=2012 { for(i=2;i<=NF;i++) $i=copy[i]} 1' input

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Cut, Copy and Paste with X

One of the things that I have learned to take for granted in the Win32 world is the cut, copy and paste hotkeys of ^X, ^C and ^V. I use these keys all the time under Win32 to copy and paste information from one GUI into another GUI. My question is, does X have a similiar standard? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: auswipe
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, copy and paste

Can i search in a file for more than one string at a time? And copy the next string after that and paste it in column style? Is it possible? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy/paste with awk

Hi everybody, I have two XML files. I am working on a script that could copy and paste the contents of the first xml file to the desired location in the second xml file. Here is my first XML file. This is the second XML file. Finaly, I wnat to obtain something like that : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsaas
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste data in files

Hi, I want to put the following values into Variables R2=0.999863 , V2=118.870318 , D2=-178.887511 and so on. There are six values for each variable R2-R8, V2-V8 and D2-D8, total of 18 values for all the variables. Can any one help me to copy and paste all the values in their respective... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullah
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed copy paste

Hello, I have this path and file: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txt I want to end up with: /dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/dir/THIS_SPOT/fle.txtTHIS_SPOT Take the dir after the 10th slash, add a tab at the end and paste the dir it copied. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crowman
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi copy/paste problem

I'm having a problem copy/pasting from a txt file in windows to vi. What happens is I copy a chunk of text, go to the putty terminal, go into insert mode, and right click, and it will stop pasting at a random point and freeze up. Nothing I do gets out of it. This only happens on my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: solidarity
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/Paste in Vi editor

Dear All, I have a file containing 12 lines. First 3 lines have 9 values and the remaining 9 lines with no values. I was trying to copy and paste these 9 values of the first 3 lines into last 9 lines simultaneously as A=1.491331, B=1.539000 ..... but I don't know how to cope with this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sullah
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy and Paste to a new document

Hello, I am quite new to shell scripting so don't know all the tools available. What I'm trying to do is open a file optimal.txt search for objectiveValue and copy the number in quotes next to it. e.g. ... solutionName="incumbent" solutionIndex="-1" objectiveValue="13246" ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: StephanR
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy n paste n times

I have one mainframe copy book where I want to copy n times depend on occurs which mention below. Example: Below highlighted row mention “occurs 2 times” so I need to copy 2 times till next label 10. C14992 10 FILLER PIC X(2835). 01 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivalli
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy/paste in vi editor

Hello guys, I am trying to copy a line in vi editor and paste it with below commands but paste command is not working and instead of paste action prints the p character!! I should also mention that the server is Solaris... 1) crontab -e 2) j to move down 3) yy to copy the line 4) o to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newman
4 Replies
PASTE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste -- merge corresponding or subsequent lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file ... DESCRIPTION
The paste utility concatenates the corresponding lines of the given input files, replacing all but the last file's newline characters with a single tab character, and writes the resulting lines to standard output. If end-of-file is reached on an input file while other input files still contain data, the file is treated as if it were an endless source of empty lines. The options are as follows: -d list Use one or more of the provided characters to replace the newline characters instead of the default tab. The characters in list are used circularly, i.e., when list is exhausted the first character from list is reused. This continues until a line from the last input file (in default operation) or the last line in each file (using the -s option) is displayed, at which time paste begins selecting characters from the beginning of list again. The following special characters can also be used in list: newline character tab character \ backslash character Empty string (not a null character). Any other character preceded by a backslash is equivalent to the character itself. -s Concatenate all of the lines of each separate input file in command line order. The newline character of every line except the last line in each input file is replaced with the tab character, unless otherwise specified by the -d option. If '-' is specified for one or more of the input files, the standard input is used; standard input is read one line at a time, circularly, for each instance of '-'. EXAMPLES
List the files in the current directory in three columns: ls | paste - - - Combine pairs of lines from a file into single lines: paste -s -d ' ' myfile Number the lines in a file, similar to nl(1): sed = myfile | paste -s -d ' ' - - Create a colon-separated list of directories named bin, suitable for use in the PATH environment variable: find / -name bin -type d | paste -s -d : - DIAGNOSTICS
The paste utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cut(1), lam(1) STANDARDS
The paste utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A paste command appeared in Version 32V AT&T UNIX. BUGS
Multibyte character delimiters cannot be specified with the -d option. BSD
September 20, 2001 BSD