Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris HOW to set unlimited login attempts for user in Solaris? Post 302678693 by bartus11 on Sunday 29th of July 2012 12:19:54 PM
Old 07-29-2012
You just have to edit(or add) entry in /etc/user_attr. Check this man page: user_attr(4) (man pages section 4: File Formats)
Look at "lock_after_retries".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Maximum 3 login attempts

Hi, I notice in my Sun Solaris 8 sparc workstation, if I failed my login in the 5th time, I will be closed the connection from the host. I want to make 3 times. That is, if user fails to login with 3 attempts, he will be closed the connection. How to do it? Of course I am the admin of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
2 Replies

2. Solaris

invalid login attempts...

I am wondering if solaris captures id's associated w/invalid login attempts? when I try to login as "test1" several (3-5) times, I do not find any userID info under "/var/adm" files: utmpx wtmpx messages lastlog Is there another location/log I should be checking? Is it necessary for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
6 Replies

3. AIX

AIX; Auto clearing of 'too many invalid login attempts by user'

Does anyone have a good script / cron job that handles this? I have looked in smit and see it is clearing this count with: chsec -f /etc/security/lastlog -a "unsuccessful_login_count=0" -s '{userid}' However when I looked around to find ways to automate this I have not found an easy... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Johnson
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Number of login attempts on solaris 10

Hi, I want to sent number of login attempts ,so that after that much attempts user account should be locked on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set Ulimit data segment to Unlimited

Hi, as per my Unix admin all parameters in Ulimit are set to Unlimited in Hard limits but some how few profiles setting data segment part to limited number value. So i wanted to over write in my profile to set unlimited as hard limits are set to unlimited. What is the command to set ulimit for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terala_s
1 Replies

6. AIX

Invalid login attempts

How can I see the number of invalid login attempts of a user? Thanks, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

$USER is not set in remsh but works fine via ssh login

1) ssh a@b echo $USER it display the correct value as a (even though i have not defined it in .profile) 2) remsh b -l a echo $USER it does not display the value as a (variable is not set any idea why $USER variable is not initialized when i login via remsh or rlogin but shows the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
10 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to set for a user a non-login shell?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am a root in a Unix system. My shell is bash. 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: How to set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: me_me_me
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

How to set a non-login non-interactive shell for a user?

I am sorry for creating a new topic after my previous inquiry was closed, but I tried and tried and I do not know how to edit my previous post. This is not exactly any homework, this is one of 40 questions we were expected to prepare for one of the labs. I searched and read what I could and still... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_me_me
4 Replies
getuserattr(3SECDB)													       getuserattr(3SECDB)

NAME
getuserattr, getusernam, getuseruid, free_userattr, setuserattr, enduserattr, fgetuserattr - get user_attr entry SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lsecdb -lsocket -lnsl [ library... ] #include <user_attr.h> userattr_t *getuserattr(void); userattr_t *getusernam(const char *name); userattr_t *getuseruid(uid_t uid); void free_userattr(userattr_t *userattr); void setuserattr(void); void enduserattr(void); userattr_t *fgetuserattr(FILE *f); The getuserattr(), getusernam(), and getuseruid() functions each return a user_attr(4) entry. Entries can come from any of the sources specified in the nsswitch.conf(4) file. The getuserattr() function enumerates user_attr entries. The getusernam() function searches for a user_attr entry with a given user name name. The getuseruid() function searches for a user_attr entry with a given user ID uid. Successive calls to these functions return either successive user_attr entries or NULL. The fgetuserattr() function does not use nsswitch.conf but reads and parses the next line from the stream f. This stream is assumed to have the format of the user_attr files. The free_userattr() function releases memory allocated by the getusernam(), getuserattr(), and fgetuserattr() functions. The internal representation of a user_attr entry is a userattr_t structure defined in <user_attr.h> with the following members: char *name; /* name of the user */ char *qualifier; /* reserved for future use */ char *res1; /* reserved for future use */ char *res2; /* reserved for future use */ kva_t *attr; /* list of attributes */ The setuserattr() function "rewinds" to the beginning of the enumeration of user_attr entries. Calls to getusernam() may leave the enumer- ation in an indeterminate state, so setuserattr() should be called before the first call to getuserattr(). The enduserattr() function may be called to indicate that user_attr processing is complete; the library may then close any open user_attr file, deallocate any internal storage, and so forth. The getuserattr() function returns a pointer to a userattr_t if it successfully enumerates an entry; otherwise it returns NULL, indicating the end of the enumeration. The getusernam() function returns a pointer to a userattr_t if it successfully locates the requested entry; otherwise it returns NULL. USAGE
The getuserattr() and getusernam() functions both allocate memory for the pointers they return. This memory should be deallocated with the free_userattr() function. Individual attributes can be referenced in the attr structure by calling the kva_match(3SECDB) function. WARININGS
Because the list of legal keys is likely to expand, code must be written to ignore unknown key-value pairs without error. /etc/user_attr extended user attributes /etc/nsswitch.conf configuration file lookup information for the name server switch See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ getauthattr(3SECDB), getexecattr(3SECDB), getprofattr(3SECDB), user_attr(4), attributes(5) 31 Mar 2005 getuserattr(3SECDB)