Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to grow vxfs directory but the server is in Veritas Cluster environment? Post 302678223 by sunnychen98 on Friday 27th of July 2012 12:39:08 PM
Old 07-27-2012
How to grow vxfs directory but the server is in Veritas Cluster environment?

Hello,

Usually I use "vxresize" to grow vxfs directory in a stand-alone server without any problems, but I am just told to grow vxfs directorys in Veritas Cluster nodes.

Since I never done it before, would like to ask all the experts here to make sure the concept and steps will be fine before I pursue.

Example-1:

2 nodes cluster ( server-a and server-b ) in VCS control

Request: grow /opt/oracle with additional 10GB

What I notice is: the cluster is not using Veritas Cluster File System to mange its file systems =>

Which means, I can't grow file system in master node, then expect slave node will grow too .... I need to grow file systems separately on both cluster nodes --> is this concept correct?

server-a# df -h | grep /opt/oracle
/dev/vx/dsk/serveradg/optoracle 20G 13G 6.7G 66% /opt/oracle

server-b# df -h | grep /opt/oracle
/dev/vx/dsk/serverbdg/optoracle 20G 13G 6.8G 66% /opt/oracle

The reason I want to make sure is that I don't have clear Veritas Cluster knowledge, so I always thought that to grow filesystem in one node, the other nodes in the cluster should see the same change automatically, but while reasing online, I noticed this seems only works if file systems are under Veritas Cluster Filesystem control, so I would like to be careful before I go to run "vxresize" ... to prevent I am not going to mess up the cluster.

Can anyone help to share/confirm that I should still go to each node in the cluster to grow file systems even though those nodes are in the same cluster, but not in Veritas Cluster Filesystem control?

Thank you very much,

SC

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

veritas vxfs and ufsdump

hi guys, I am studying for the solaris scsa and i want to practice with ufsdump and restores, fssnaps etc... my question is, i finally found a server with a tape drive attached that i can mess arouund with because its not a critical box. its running solaris 8, and i want to do a ufsdump, but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

newbie in veritas cluster server

Hello, This might not be the right place to post my questions. - I installed VCS 5.0 on the 2 nodes. What's next? I want to test the HA of NFS: i.e. the shared disk always accessible if one node goes down. How to do that? - The management console was not installed. This is the GUI to manage... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
2 Replies

3. High Performance Computing

SUN Cluster Vs Veritas Cluster

Dear All, Can anyone explain about Pros and Cons of SUN and Veritas Cluster ? Any comparison chart is highly appreciated. Regards, RAA (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAA
4 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

Veritas Cluster Server Management Console IP Failover

I have just completed a first RTFM of "Veritas Cluster Server Management Console Implementation Guide" 5.1, with a view to assessing it to possibly make our working lives easier. Unfortunately, at my organisation, getting a test installation would be worse than pulling teeth, so I can't just go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beast Of Bodmin
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Veritas Cluster Server Question

Is it possible to configure veritas cluster server using 2 Ldoms on same host? I just want to test and learn VCS. We can do a cluster (sun cluster3.2 ) in a box using 2 Ldoms but i 'm not sure if thats possible with veritas cluster or not ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fugitive
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Sun cluster and Veritas cluster question.

Yesterday my customer told me to expect a vcs upgrade to happen in the future. He also plans to stop using HDS and move to EMC. Am thinking how to migrate to sun cluster setup instead. My plan as follows leave the existing vcs intact as a fallback plan. Then install and build suncluster on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Veritas VxVM & Vxfs to SVM and UFS

Hi, I have 2 hosts with Veritas VxVM and VxFS (5.0 MP3_RP2). I need to use the application filesystem's luns from these 2 hosts and mount it on another 2 hosts that are running Solaris 9 09/05 and SVM. Is there resources online or has someone tried this? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xor
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Veritas VxVM & Vxfs to SVM and UFS

Hi, I have 2 hosts with Veritas VxVM and VxFS (5.0 MP3_RP2). I need to use the application filesystem's luns from these 2 hosts and mount it on another 2 hosts that are running Solaris 9 09/05 and SVM. Is there resources online or has someone tried this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xor
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Using ZFS with Veritas Cluster Server

Until I really began to explore the practical implications of using ZFS with VCS, I would not have necessarily realised the obstacles that would be put in my path. Data integrity is a must-have for storage in a shared host environment, so it surprised me to learn as I opened this particular... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cambridge
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to extend a disk in veritas volume manager in veritas cluster?

Hi Experts, I wanted to extend a veritas file system which is running on veritas cluster and mounted on node2 system. #hastatus -sum -- System State Frozen A node1 running 0 A node2 running 0 -- Group State -- Group System Probed ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skmanojkum
1 Replies
vxbootsetup(1M) 														   vxbootsetup(1M)

NAME
vxbootsetup - set up system boot information on a Veritas Volume Manager disk SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxbootsetup [-g diskgroup] [medianame ... ] DESCRIPTION
The vxbootsetup utility configures physical disks so that they can be used to boot the system. Before vxbootsetup is called to configure a disk, the required volumes, standvol, rootvol and swapvol (and optionally, dumpvol) must be created on the disk. All of these volumes must be contiguous with only one subdisk. The -g option may be used to specify the boot disk group. If no medianame arguments are specified, all disks that contain usable mirrors of the root, swap, /usr and /var volumes are configured to be bootable. If medianame arguments are given, only the disks that are associated with the specified disk names are configured to be bootable. vxbootsetup requires that: o The root volume must be named rootvol and must have a usage type of root. o The swap volume must be named swapvol and must have a usage type of swap. o The volumes containing /usr and /var (if any) must be named usr and var, respectively. See the chapter "Recovery from Boot Disk Failure" in the Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide for detailed information on how the system boots and how VxVM impacts the system boot process. The vxmirror, vxrootmir, and vxresize utilities call vxbootsetup automatically. If you use vxassist, or vxmake and vxplex to create mirrors of the root volume on a disk, you must run vxbootsetup explicitly to make the disk bootable. ARGUMENTS
medianame Specifies the disk name (disk media name) of a VM disk that is to be configured as bootable. SEE ALSO
disksetup(1M), edvtoc(1M), vxassist(1M), vxevac(1M), vxinstall(1M), vxintro(1M), vxmake(1M), vxmirror(1M), vxplex(1M), vxresize(1M), vxrootmir(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Troubleshooting Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxbootsetup(1M)