Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove blank line from a text file? Post 302677009 by methyl on Wednesday 25th of July 2012 11:42:39 AM
Old 07-25-2012
Why not write all the lines as as "$line\n" ? A line terminator needs to be at the end of the line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove FIRST Line of huge text file on Solaris

i need help..!!!! i have one big text file estimate data file size 50 - 100GB with 70 Mega Rows. on OS SUN Solaris version 8 How i can remove first line of the text file. Please suggest me for solutions. Thank you very much in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madoatz
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank line - SED

HI, I have this list of apps like so: DivX Products.app DivX Support.app Uninstall DivX for Mac.app Build Applet.app SpringBoard.app Interface.app MobileAddressBook.app MobileSafari.app MobileSlideShow.app Preferences.app Install Flash Player 8 OSX.app Yap.app check_afp.app ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces in a text file...

Hi, I have this problem that there are blank spaces in my text file... i want to remove them line 1 line 2 line 3 I want to remove the space between line 2 and line 3... I tried sed... it work but it prints the whole text file at the command prompt which i dont want.... sde i tried was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya2340
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last blank line of file

I have a number of files (arranged in directories) which have last line blank, I am trying to synchronize my code with other env and due to this blank lines, all files error out as different although only difference is that of balnk line at end of file. Is there a way I can recursively... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruchimca
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove blank lines and comments from text file

Hi, I am using BASH. How can I remove any lines in a text file that are either blank or begin with a # (ie. comments)? Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete the last empty/blank line of the text file

Hi All, I have a file.txt which seems like having three lines. wc -l file.txt 3 file.txt In fact, once it is open in text editor, this file has four lines where the last line is empty. how can i delete this last empty line of the file.txt? I tried the codes below so far but they... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines containing and remove the blank line at the same time

Is there a way to delete a line containing something and the blank line at the same time? If you do this it leaves a blank line behind. sed '/yum/d' .bash_historyI know this works but I would think there would be a way to do it with one command sed '/yum/d' .bash_history | sed '/^$/d'In... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Space and blank line from file in UNIX shell script

I have below file. I want to remove space at begining of every line and then after also remove blank line from file. I use below code for each operation. sed -e 's/^*//' < check.txt > check1.txt sed '/^\s*$/d' < check1.txt > check2.txt above code not remove all the space... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohin Jain
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies
WRITE(1)                                                    BSD General Commands Manual                                                   WRITE(1)

NAME
write -- send a message to another user SYNOPSIS
write user [tty] DESCRIPTION
The write utility allows you to communicate with other users, by copying lines from your terminal to theirs. When you run the write command, the user you are writing to gets a message of the form: Message from yourname@yourhost on yourtty at hh:mm ... Any further lines you enter will be copied to the specified user's terminal. If the other user wants to reply, they must run write as well. When you are done, type an end-of-file or interrupt character. The other user will see the message 'EOF' indicating that the conversation is over. You can prevent people (other than the super-user) from writing to you with the mesg(1) command. If the user you want to write to is logged in on more than one terminal, you can specify which terminal to write to by specifying the termi- nal name as the second operand to the write command. Alternatively, you can let write select one of the terminals - it will pick the one with the shortest idle time. This is so that if the user is logged in at work and also dialed up from home, the message will go to the right place. The traditional protocol for writing to someone is that the string '-o', either at the end of a line or on a line by itself, means that it is the other person's turn to talk. The string 'oo' means that the person believes the conversation to be over. SEE ALSO
mesg(1), talk(1), wall(1), who(1) HISTORY
A write command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The sender's LC_CTYPE setting is used to determine which characters are safe to write to a terminal, not the receiver's (which write has no way of knowing). BSD February 13, 2012 BSD