Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ulimit command
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ulimit command Post 302676931 by mrn6430 on Wednesday 25th of July 2012 10:11:38 AM
Old 07-25-2012
ulimit command

In Linux, What is the difference between using this command ulimit -c `ulimit -cH` and ulimit -c `ulimit -Hc` ?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit -d

All I am trying to do ulimit -d unlimited and I get "sh: ulimit: The specified value exceeds the user's allowable limit." Can someone please help me understand, how to change this! Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adadevil
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit

Hi, system aix 4.3 when I execute umilit i get result "unlimited". why cant i ftp or extract from media filesize over 2gig.... e.g FS /test/testy is large file enabled. any help will be greatly appreciated. thnx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Student37
3 Replies

3. Solaris

ulimit

Hi, I need to increase the open files on my server to run a test. Usually what I do is: ulimit -n 5000 My questions are: 1] I want to set this parameter once and for all. What is the right parameter to set in /etc/system: rlim_fd_max or rlim_fd_cur? 2] How to make sure that this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

4. Solaris

ulimit command

Hi, I have a Sun machine 5.8 and would like to modify the ulimit parameter for numner of file descriptors. the output of plimit <process name> is: 4100: process_name resource current maximum time(seconds) unlimited unlimited file(blocks) ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ulimit

hi what is the difference between file and data? if file is unlimited, does that mean we can have a file as big as we like? thanks. file(blocks) unlimited data(kbytes) 1048576 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

6. Solaris

ulimit

how do i check the ulimit set on my server.. ca i know whats the command ?? thanks in advance .. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

ulimit Command Problem???

Hi, I have changed the ulimit for the user dsadm on one of my server. Its only changed IF i su to dsadm from root, but its not changing if i ssh to dsadm. i want to change the data(kbytes)to unlimited. i edit the /etc/profile and .profile of dsadm user by set this my OS 11.31 ulimit -d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mousa55
1 Replies

8. Solaris

ulimit

Hello, could you help me please? I write in command line: "ulimit 500" -> i've set the max size of 512-bytes blocks that i can write in one file. But when after it i use ulimit.3c in my program: "ulimit(UL_GETFSIZE);" the result turns out 1000. Why is it so? They always differ so that one is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zhenya_
2 Replies

9. Linux

ulimit -n

Hi im a complete noob to shell commands but here is my problem i have a dedicated server i7 with 24 gig ram i have whm/cpanel on it now ive added a minecraft system to root but i cannot set the server to more than 512mb memory i was told its because the memory is being blocked and was told to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazzac
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Ulimit -c unlimited

I was trying to generate core dump of a process.But it is not generated. While digging up the issue I found that Core File Size is set to 0. I set it with #ulimit -c unlimited.After that I found the core file size is set to 0 (ulimit -a).I exit that session and again logged in.But found the core... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
12 Replies
ULIMIT(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 ULIMIT(3)

NAME
ulimit -- get and set process limits LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <ulimit.h> long ulimit(int cmd, ...); DESCRIPTION
The ulimit() function will get and set process limits. Currently, this is limited to the maximum file size. The cmd argument is one of the following: UL_GETFSIZE will return the maximum file size of the current process, in units of 512-byte blocks. UL_SETFSIZE will attempt to set the maximum file size of the current process and its children, using the second argument (expressed as a long). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, ulimit() returns the value requested; otherwise, the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The ulimit() function will fail if: [EINVAL] The command specified was invalid. [EPERM] The limit specified to ulimit() would have raised the maximum limit value, and the caller is not the super-user. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2) STANDARDS
The ulimit() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The ulimit() function first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0. BUGS
The ulimit() function provides limited precision for setting and retrieving process limits. If there is a need for greater precision than the type long provides, the getrlimit(2) and setrlimit(2) functions should be considered. BSD
January 4, 2003 BSD