Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wish to install Linux Mint 13, Mepis and Solus OS. Help! Post 302673181 by Corona688 on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 03:19:33 PM
Old 07-17-2012
We can't really see your computer from here, so we can't help you down to the 'what button do I push' level. You may have used Linux before but don't seem that familiar with it (referring to disks by drive letters and all -- Linux has no such concept like 'drive letter!') Knowing how to install one Linux really doesn't tell you how to install any other; linux is the 1-meg file which loads on boot, literally everything else is what programs they built and what programs they chose to bundle with it. It's not an all-in-one package the way Windows is.

My suggestion would be to install on the drive you've designated 'F' and ignore the primary hard drive completely. Adjust the boot-order in CMOS so it boots the linux hard disk first, instead of trying to play games with two OSes and one bootloader. You can get that working later if you want, but you don't have to deal with that difficulty if you don't need to.

This will be much safer than trying to dual-boot, wherein one mistake in installation could destroy both OSes...

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Wireless issues in Linux Mint.

I am running Linux Mint Gloria on my PC. I have ADSL broadband connection which require login and pswd connection to connect. I have SmartAX MT841 modem which has wireless card free with it. I also have recently purchased DELL inspiron 1545 machine which have Vista preinstalled in it. Now I want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: budtuxy
0 Replies

2. Linux

Can not get wireless to register in linux mint?

I just installed linux mint 11 yesterday. I cannot get the wireless to register, it says that firmware is missing but I can not figure out how to make it work. I am still a newbie and would appreciate any help possible. Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: breebutner
7 Replies

3. Debian

Linux Mint 16

I use linux mint 16 and I'm new to live ux. what should I know? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cryptek
4 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub(8), update-grub(8). The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual in the grub-legacy-doc package. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) January 2013 GRUB-INSTALL(8)