Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Black Screen
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Black Screen Post 302672043 by admin_xor on Sunday 15th of July 2012 05:13:29 PM
Old 07-15-2012
What is your default runlevel? If it's not 5, then did you manually start X server? Have you tried accessing one of the virtual terminals by pressing ALT+CTRL+F1 etc? Have you checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for any errors?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Black Screen SCO Real. 5 (intel platform)

Hi everyone, I am new in here. I have to work on a system where nothing is showing up on the screen. I am suspecting an hardware issue, can anyone help me with this? Thanks for your input BB (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: labcc
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get Black Screen for 10secs

I was thinking if there is a way that i can go about making my screen go black automatically for about 10seconds, (with a message like "take a break" printed on the screen) and after 10seconds everything comes back to normal.... is there any way that i can do this...??? to further clarify the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_d
2 Replies

3. Hardware

qosmio f50-freeze when trying to update bios-black screen

Hi! I own a Qosmio f50 laptop and today i download the file from toshiba to update my bios. Everything went well until installer reaches block 16 when system freezes. I left it half an hour and then tried to power-off the pc with the button, but it dont. I unplug the ac-adaptor and the battery and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: giampoul
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Screen Goes Black When Run startx

Have - HP G4p DL360 SCSI version (*see below of pdf of server basics if needed) Scientific Linux live-cd.iso Issue - When it boots off the LiveCD, all starts swell, but if I install the OS normal it goes to a black monitor.... If I install text only, it works and when done I am at the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Boot problem after updates, Ubuntu, black screen and cursor

I hope this is the correct forum, please forgive a newbie. Hi all, New to linux, ubuntu, and this forum. I have enjoyed ubuntu for the past few months, but after my last update installation ubuntu would boot to a black screen and blinking cursor. If I let it sit for a while it would give the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nutoubuntu
0 Replies

6. Linux

Cannot boot as usuall , turn to black screen & ask for loging in ???? Help me????

Hey guys..... Im new user for linux fedora 20.... i really need help ....... i have no idea why suddently when i turn on my laptop fedora turn to be black screen and ask me loging in , when i loging then nothing happen , it stay at the same screen... then i try to go to "with linux secure...,"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: asianfootball
12 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX server boots to black graphical screen

hello all, please can you help me crack this.... i have an hp-ux server which when after booting it does not completely boot to graphical. it stops aa black screen with only an hour glass showing. at this stage only the mouse responds but the keyboard does not respond. any idea to find... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steveGH
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Showing a black screen

Hi all, Is there a way, on the command line, to show a black screen WITHOUT turning off the monitor? Also, is there a way to make the computer show the last screen before the black screen as soon as the user interacts with it? I know that there are various ways to turn off the computer, or... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zel2008
8 Replies
telinit(8)						      System Manager's Manual							telinit(8)

NAME
telinit - change system runlevel SYNOPSIS
telinit [OPTION]... RUNLEVEL DESCRIPTION
telinit may be used to change the system runlevel. The RUNLEVEL argument should be one of the multi-user runlevels 2-5, 0 to halt the system, 6 to reboot the system or 1 to bring the system down into single-user mode. Normally you would use the shutdown(8) tool to halt or reboot the system, or to bring it down to single-user mode. RUNLEVEL may also be S or s which will place the system directly into single-user mode without actually stopping processes first, you prob- ably won't want that. The runlevel is changed by emitting the runlevel(7) event, which includes the new runlevel in the RUNLEVEL environment variable as well as the previous runlevel (obtained from the environment or from /var/run/utmp) in the PREVLEVEL variable. telinit will write the new runlevel to /var/run/utmp and append a new entry to /var/log/wtmp. Other commands telinit may be also used to send basic commands to the init(8) daemon for compatibility with System V. These are: Q or q to request that init(8) reload its configuration. This is rarely necessary since Upstart watches its configuration with inotify(7) and is deprecated by the initctl(8) reload-configuration command. U or u to request that the init(8) daemon re-execute itself. This is not recommended since Upstart is currently unable to preserve its state, but is necessary when upgrading system libraries. OPTIONS
-e KEY=VALUE This specifies an additional environment variable to be included in the event along with RUNLEVEL and PREVLEVEL. ENVIRONMENT
RUNLEVEL telinit will read the current runlevel from this environment variable if set in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp FILES
/var/run/utmp Where the current runlevel will be read from; this file will also be updated with the new runlevel. /var/log/wtmp A new runlevel record will be appended to this file for the new runlevel. NOTES
The Upstart init(8) daemon does not keep track of runlevels itself, instead they are implemented entirely by its userspace tools. See runlevel(7) for more details. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) initctl(8) shutdown(8) runlevel(8) Upstart 2009-07-09 telinit(8)