Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping fails in locale other than English Post 302670803 by alister on Thursday 12th of July 2012 12:54:39 PM
Old 07-12-2012
The output you're seeing is what one would see if the pipe symbol were to be quoted.
Code:
grep -n '^PAX_PAYLOAD:$' $0 '|' cut -d ':' -f 1

Seeing the entire script and knowing exactly how it's invoked (especially the value of $0) would be helpful. Also, further details of the environment may help. Which sh exactly is being used, for starters.

A shot in the dark (although I don't see how it could be the cause, it's good practice): try double-quoting $0.

Regards,
Alister

---------- Post updated at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:40 PM ----------

Some light may be shed on the problem if you enable tracing at the top of the script (or at least before the problematic section is entered). set -x enables tracing, set +x disables it.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please decode in English

Hello: Can anyone please decode this script in English. I have also made some comments which I know.. The actual script does not have one comment also.. #! /bin/ksh . odbmsprd_env.ksh #setting the env.. echo $0 Started at : `date '+%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S'` # what's echo $0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ST2000
4 Replies

2. SCO

gzip english version

Hello, i'm not skilled on unix, i'd like gzip/gunzip software and, ESPECIALLY, the detailed instructions for installation....please help me......i'm like a baby in unix world!!!!! hello, thanks a lot! mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfran2002
3 Replies

3. Ubuntu

LANG=C not English?

On Ubuntu 7.04, why would the "C" LANG parameter not be English: $ LANG=C locale LANG=C LANGUAGE=he_IL:he:en_GB:en LC_CTYPE="he_IL.utf8" LC_NUMERIC="he_IL.utf8" LC_TIME="he_IL.utf8" LC_COLLATE="he_IL.utf8" LC_MONETARY="he_IL.utf8" LC_MESSAGES="he_IL.utf8" LC_PAPER="he_IL.utf8"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Displaying the available locales in english

Hi, I am developing a program that would ask the user to set the locale. For that, I need to display them to user in plain english. like English(US) English (Uk) depending on the user selection I need to set the locale. Is there a command in redhat linux that would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

translate to normal english

lnode * head = temp; (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rickym2626
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert english to chinese

Hi Experts, Can anyone help me to convert a english input into chinese in a bash script. help would be highly appreciable. thanks, Deepak (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Translate from english to french

Hi, I wrote a script to convert a given word from English to French. But I am not able to figure out what I am missing here. I am not able to get the translated word Below is my script: French=/root/dict/entofr.txt for i in $* do word="echo $word $i" done while: do cat <<... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinky7630
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert number to english?

Hi gurus, I have a weird requirement. I need to convert the number to english lecture. I have 1.2 ....19 numbers I need to convert to first second third fourth, fifth, sixth... Is there any way convert it using unix command? thanks in advance. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
8 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)							    locale.conf 						    LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - Configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. It is read at early boot by systemd(1). The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments, no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to alter the settings in this file during runtime from the command line. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize them on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7), localectl(1), systemd-localed.service(8), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 LOCALE.CONF(5)