Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found Post 302670203 by alister on Wednesday 11th of July 2012 10:21:00 PM
Old 07-11-2012
The following approach leverages awk's multiline record abilities (assumes each article block is delimited by at least one blank line) and shamelessly pilfers agama's solution. Smilie

Code:
BEGIN {
    RS=""; FS="\n"; fmt="%-10s %-10s %-10s %-10s %-10s\n"
    printf fmt, "Article", "Colours", "Numbers", "Names", "Month"
}

{
    a["colour"] = a["number"] = a["name"] = a["month"] = "+MISSING+"
    for (i=1, i<=NF, i++) {
        split($i, b, /\.+/)
        if (b[1] in a)
            a[b[1]] = b[2]
    }
    printf fmt, $1, a["colour"], a["number"], a["name"], a["month"]
}

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 07-11-2012 at 11:28 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using egrep to search for Text and special char

Anyone is well-versed to use egrep to search a file for a line containing both: 1) AAA 2) $ I am having problem escaping the dollar sign when using egrep in conjunction with satisfying AAA as well. E.g. Text file Line 1 AAA Line 2 $$$ Line 3 AAA BBB $ Line 4 $$$ BBB AA will return me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: izy100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with pattern search and return

I would like to write a script which will read a file containing a list of filenames of the format as shown below : /usr/local/packages/runcmdlinetool /home/john.doe/sdfsdf/sdfsdfsd/sdfsdf/sdfsdfTemplates.xml /usr/local/bin/gtar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: inditopgun
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a pattern and if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining

I am trying to do some thing like this .. In a file , if pattern found insert new pattern at the begining of the line containing the pattern. example: in a file I have this. gtrow0unit1/gctunit_crrownorth_stage5_outnet_feedthru_pin if i find feedthru_pin want to insert !! at the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific line if the search pattern is found

Hi, I need to extract <APPNUMBER> tag alone, if the <college> haas IIT Chennai value. college tag value will have spaces embedded. Those spaces should not be suppresses. My Source file <Record><sno>1</sno><empid>E0001</empid><name>Rejsh suderam</name><college>IIT ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekar1
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search specific pattern in file and return number of occurence

Hi I want to search for a specific pattern in file Say ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD;PQR ABC;HELLO_UNIX_WORLD_IS_NOT_ENOUGH;XYZ ABC;HELLO_UNIX_FORUM;LMN Pattern to search is : "HELLO_UNIX_*****" and not "HELLO_UNIX_***_***_" I mean after "HELLO_UNIX" there can only be one word.In this case... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoid carriage return until ^M is found (CentOS 6, bash 4.1)

Hi everyone, I have the following contents in a text file (as seen when viewed using vim): one two three ^M four five six ^M seven eight nine ^M ten eleven twelve ^M (That is just a small portion of the file) How can I obtain the following result? one two three ^M four five six ^M seven... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a file based on pattern & return the filename if found?

Hi all, I am a newbie here. I have this requirement to find a file based on a pattern then return the filename if found. I created a script based on online tutorials. Though, I am stuck & really appreciate if anyone can have a quick look & point me to the right direction? #Script starts... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: buster_t
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a text and return the text from file

Hi I have a set of input strings in a pattern as given below string1 string2 string3 string4 string5 I need to search this sequence of strings from a file in such a way that the first two strings (string1 and string2) and last two strings (string4 and string5) should match with the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to search file for string and lauch function if found

In the bash below I am searching the filevirus-scan.log for the Infected files: 0 line (in bold) and each line for OK. If both of these are true then the function execute is automatically called and processing starts. If both these conditions are not meet then the line in the file is sent to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD